A Boltzmann-type Approach to the Formation of Wealth Distribution Curves
Kinetic market models have been proposed recently to account for the redistribution of wealth in simple market economies. These models allow to develop a qualitative theory, which is based on methods borrowed from the kinetic theory of rarefied gases. The aim of these notes is to present a unifying approach to the study of the evolution of wealth in the large- time regime. The considered models are divided into two classes: the first class is such that the society’s mean wealth is conserved, while for models of the second class, the mean wealth grows or decreases exponentially in time. In both cases, it is possible to classify the most important feature of the steady (or self-similar, respectively) wealth distributions, namely the fatness of the Pareto tail. We shall also discuss the tails’ dynamical stability in terms of the model parameters. Our results are derived by means of a qualitative analysis of the associated homogeneous Boltzmann equations. The key tools are suitable metrics for probability measures, and a concise description of the evolution of moments. A recent extension to economies, in which different groups of agents interact, is presented in detail. We conclude with numerical experiments that confirm the theo- retical predictions.
|Date of creation:||07 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. Ispolatov & P.L. Krapivsky & S. Redner, 1998. "Wealth distributions in asset exchange models," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 267-276, March.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Marc Mezard, 2000. "Wealth condensation in a simple model of economy," Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive 500026, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Chatterjee, Arnab & K. Chakrabarti, Bikas & Manna, S.S, 2004. "Pareto law in a kinetic model of market with random saving propensity," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 335(1), pages 155-163.
- Marco Patriarca & Anirban Chakraborti & Guido Germano, 2005. "Influence of saving propensity on the power law tail of wealth distribution," Papers physics/0506028, arXiv.org.
- Patriarca, Marco & Chakraborti, Anirban & Germano, Guido, 2006. "Influence of saving propensity on the power-law tail of the wealth distribution," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 369(2), pages 723-736.
- A. Chakraborti & B.K. Chakrabarti, 2000. "Statistical mechanics of money: how saving propensity affects its distribution," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 167-170, September.
- Bouchaud, Jean-Philippe & Mézard, Marc, 2000. "Wealth condensation in a simple model of economy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 282(3), pages 536-545.
- Marco Patriarca & Anirban Chakraborti & Els Heinsalu & Guido Germano, 2006. "Relaxation in statistical many-agent economy models," Papers physics/0608174, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2008.
- Chatterjee, Arnab & Chakrabarti, Bikas K., 2007. "Ideal-gas-like market models with savings: Quenched and annealed cases," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 382(1), pages 36-41.
- Yougui Wang & Ning Ding & Li Zhang, 2005. "The Circulation of Money and Holding Time Distribution," Papers physics/0507147, arXiv.org.
- Anirban Chakraborti & Bikas K. Chakrabarti, 2000. "Statistical mechanics of money: How saving propensity affects its distribution," Papers cond-mat/0004256, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2000.
- Arnab Chatterjee & Bikas K. Chakrabarti & S. S. Manna, 2003. "Pareto Law in a Kinetic Model of Market with Random Saving Propensity," Papers cond-mat/0301289, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2004.
- Gupta, Abhijit Kar, 2006. "Money exchange model and a general outlook," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 359(C), pages 634-640.
- E. Scalas & U. Garibaldi & S. Donadio, 2006.
"Statistical equilibrium in simple exchange games I,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 267-272, 09.
- E. Scalas & U. Garibaldi & S. Donadio, 2007. "Statistical equilibrium in simple exchange games I," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 60(2), pages 271-272, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:cofedp:0805. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Nolte)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ingmar Nolte to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.