International and Domestic Trading and Wealth Distribution
We introduce and discuss a kinetic model for wealth distribution in a simple market economy which is built of a number of countries or social groups. Our approach is based on the model with risky investments introduced by Cordier, Pareschi and one of the authors in  and borrows ideas from the kinetic theory of mixtures of rarefied gases. Wealth is exchanged by individuals inside these countries (domestic trade) as well as in between different countries (international trade). Under a suitable scaling we derive a system of Fokker-Planck type equations and discuss its extension to a two-dimensional model with distributed trading propensity. Theoretical and numerical results for two groups show that the wealth distribution develops a bimodal (and in general, a polymodal) shape.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Fach D 147, D-78457 Konstanz|
Web page: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnab Chatterjee & Bikas K. Chakrabarti & Robin B. Stinchcombe, 2005. "Master equation for a kinetic model of trading market and its analytic solution," Papers cond-mat/0501413, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2005.
- Ofer Malcai & Ofer Biham & Peter Richmond & Sorin Solomon, 2002. "Theoretical Analysis and Simulations of the Generalized Lotka-Volterra Model," Papers cond-mat/0208514, arXiv.org.
- Sorin Solomon, 1998. "Stochastic Lotka-Volterra Systems of Competing Auto-Catalytic Agents Lead Generically to Truncated Pareto Power Wealth Distribution, Truncated Levy Distribution of Market Returns, Clustered Volatility," Papers cond-mat/9803367, arXiv.org.
- B. Düring & G. Toscani, 2007.
"Hydrodynamics from kinetic models of conservative economies,"
CoFE Discussion Paper
07-06, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Düring, B. & Toscani, G., 2007. "Hydrodynamics from kinetic models of conservative economies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 384(2), pages 493-506.
- Coelho, Ricardo & Richmond, Peter & Barry, Joseph & Hutzler, Stefan, 2008. "Double power laws in income and wealth distributions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(15), pages 3847-3851.
- Gupta, Abhijit Kar, 2006. "Money exchange model and a general outlook," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 359(C), pages 634-640.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:cofedp:0802. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Nolte)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.