Restricted Export Flexibility and Risk Management with Options and Futures
This paper examines the production, export and risk management decisions of a risk-averse competitive firm under exchange rate risk. The firm is export flexible in allocating its output to either the domestic market or a foreign market after observing the exchange rate. Export flexibility is restricted by certain minimum sales requirements that are due to long-term considerations. Currency options are sufficient to derive a separation result under restricted export flexibility. Under fairly priced currency futures and options, full hedging with both instruments is optimal. Introducing fairly-priced currency options stimulates production provided that the currency futures market is unbiased.
|Date of creation:||19 Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Battermann, Harald L. & Braulke, Michael & Broll, Udo & Schimmelpfennig, Jorg, 2000. "The preferred hedge instrument," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 85-91, January.
- Adam-Muller, Axel F. A., 1997. "Export and hedging decisions under revenue and exchange rate risk: A note," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 1421-1426, July.
- Franke, Gunter, 1991. "Exchange rate volatility and international trading strategy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 292-307, June.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Moschini, GianCarlo, 1994. "Futures Hedging Under Price, Basis and Production Risk," Staff General Research Papers 10041, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sergio H. Lence & Yong Sakong & Dermot J. Hayes, 1993.
"Multiperiod Production with Forward and Options Markets,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
93-wp112, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Sakong, Yong & Hayes, Dermot J., 1994. "Multiperiod Production with Forward and Options Markets," Staff General Research Papers 634, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bagwell, Kyle, 1991.
"Optimal Export Policy for a New-Product Monopoly,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1156-69, December.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1986. "International trade with forward-futures markets under exchange rate and price uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 83-98, February.
- Ware, Roger & Winter, Ralph, 1988. "Forward markets, currency options and the hedging of foreign exchange risk," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 291-302, November.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Lapan, Harvey E., 1992.
"Hedging Price Risk with Options and Futures for the Competitive Firm with Production Flexibility,"
Staff General Research Papers
10043, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Lapan, Harvey E, 1992. "Hedging Price Risk with Options and Futures for the Competitive Firm with Production Flexibility," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 607-18, August.
- Kyle Bagwell & R. Staiger, 1987.
"The Role of Export Subsidies When Product Quality is Unknown,"
758, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W., 1989. "The role of export subsidies when product quality is unknown," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 69-89, August.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1988. "The Role Of Export Subsisies When Product Quality Is Unknown," NBER Working Papers 2584, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benninga, Simon & Eldor, Rafael & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1985. "Optimal international hedging in commodity and currency forward markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 537-552, December.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Moschini, GianCarlo & Hanson, Steven D., 1991. "Production Hedging and Speculative Decisions with Options and Future Markets," Staff General Research Papers 10810, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- McKenzie, Michael D, 1999. " The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 71-106, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:cofedp:0207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Nolte)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ingmar Nolte to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.