On robust local polynomial estimation with long-memory errors
Prediction in time series models with a trend requires reliable estima- tion of the trend function at the right end of the observed series. Local polynomial smoothing is a suitable tool because boundary corrections are included implicitly. However, outliers may lead to unreliable estimates, if least squares regression is used. In this paper, local polynomial smoothing based on M-estimators are asymptotically equivalent to the least square solution, under the (ideal) Gaussian model. Outliers turn out to have a major effect on nonrobust bandwidht selection, in particular due to the change of the dependence structure.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Fach D 147, D-78457 Konstanz|
Web page: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://cofe.uni-konstanz.de Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giraitis, Liudas & Koul, Hira L. & Surgailis, Donatas, 1996. "Asymptotic normality of regression estimators with long memory errors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 317-335, September.
- Jan Beran & Yuanhua Feng, 2002. "Local Polynomial Fitting with Long-Memory, Short-Memory and Antipersistent Errors," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 54(2), pages 291-311, June.
- Beran, Jan & Ghosh, Sucharita & Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2000.
"Nonparametric M-estimation with long-memory errors,"
2000,36, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Jan Beran & Sucharita Gosh & Philipp Sibbertsen, 2000. "Nonparametric M-Estimation with Long-Memory Errors," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-19, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Jan Beran & Yuanhua Feng, 2000. "Data-driven estimation of semiparametric fractional autoregressive models," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-16, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Jan Beran & Dirk Ocker, 1999. "SEMIFAR Forecasts, with Applications to Foreign Exchange Rates," CoFE Discussion Paper 99-13, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Jan Beran, 1999. "SEMIFAR Models - A Semiparametric Framework for Modelling Trends, Long Range Dependence and Nonstationarity," CoFE Discussion Paper 99-16, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:knz:cofedp:0018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Nolte)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.