Subsidization and Structural Change in Eastern German Transition: Did Economic Policy Meet Its Objectives?
Economic policy interventions of a scale as effected in eastern Germany can be expected to have a significant impact on the economy, which may be in accordance with the objectives of the policy measures or manifest itself in distortions of several kinds. This paper analyzes the structural effects of investment subsidization as one of the core policy instruments by means of an error-correction model of factor demand and output. It intends to find out whether investment subsidization contributes to creating competitive economic structures, employment and growth or whether it just fosters an exaggerated capital intensity.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klodt, Henning & Boss, Alfred, 1994. "Standort Deutschland : strukturelle Herausforderungen im neuen Europa," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 822, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Suzanne McCoskey & Chihwa Kao, 1999.
"A Monte Carlo Comparison of Tests for Cointegration in Panel Data,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
3, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Suzanne McCoskey & Chihwa Kao, 1997. "A Monte Carlo Comparison of Tests for Cointegration in Panel Data," Econometrics 9712002, EconWPA.
- Felix Fitzroy & Michael Funke, 1994.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity in West German Manufacturing,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9408, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Funke, Michael, 1995. "Capital-Skill Complementarity in West German Manufacturing," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 651-65.
- Banerjee, Anindya, 1999. " Panel Data Unit Roots and Cointegration: An Overview," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 607-29, Special I.
- King, M. A., 1972. "Taxation and investment incentives in a vintage investment model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 121-147, April.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Gerling, Katja & Schmidt,Klaus-Dieter, 1997. "On the competitive position of Eastern German manufacturing: Why is catching-up so slow?," Kiel Working Papers 825, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Markus Diehl, 1999. "The Impact of International Outsourcing on the Skill Structure of Employment: Empirical Evidence from German Manufacturing Industries," Kiel Working Papers 946, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- repec:oup:restud:v:58:y:1991:i:2:p:277-97 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gerling, Katja, 1998. "Transfers and transition: The impact of government support on factor demand and production in Eastern Germany," Kiel Working Papers 878, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1983. "Investment Models and Expectations: Some Estimates for the Italian Industrial Sector," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(2), pages 291-312, June.
- Faini, Riccardo & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1985. "Oligopolistic models of investment and employment decisions in a regional context: Theory and empirical evidence from a putty-clay model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 221-242, March.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Sinn, Gerlinde & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1992. "Kaltstart. Volkswirtschaftliche Aspekte der Deutschen Vereinigung," Monograph, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 2, number urn:isbn:9783161459429, May.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Lammers, Konrad & Thoroe, Carsten, 1982. "Sachkapitalförderung oder Humankapitalförderung in der regionalen Wirtschaftspolitik," Kiel Working Papers 156, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.