The Cost of EU Trade Protection in Textiles and Clothing
This paper estimates the costs of EU restraints on trade in textiles and clothing. After explaining the methods used, we examine the impact of an opening up of EU trade in textiles and clothing, inter alia to those economies where the textile and clothing (T&C) industries command sizeable shares of exports and output. The estimates are based, firstly, on a partial equilibrium analysis allowing us to directly cover the effects of liberalization on the importation, production and consumption of T&C products; secondly, a general equilibrium analysis incorporates the wide-sweeping indirect costs of ATC within the EU. It turns out that in 1997 EU consumers paid roughly ECU 25 billion more for T&C products, due to quotas, tariffs and indirect effects.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Melo, Jaime & Winters, L. Alan, 1989. "Price and quality effects of VERs - revisited : a case study of Korean footwear exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 216, The World Bank.
- Harry G. Johnson, 1960. "The Cost of Protection and the Scientific Tariff," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 327.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Baldwin, Richard & Forslid, Rikard & Haaland, Jan I., 1995.
"Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of the Single Market Programme,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1308, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid & Jan Haaland, 1995. "Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of theSingle Market Programme," NBER Working Papers 5364, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, R.E. & Forslid, R. & Haaland, J.I., 1995. "Investment Creation and Investment Diversion: Simulation Analysis of the Single Market Programme," Papers 23/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Ellen L. Frost, 1997. "Transatlantic Trade: A Strategic Agenda," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa48, January.
- J. H. Chan-Lee, 1971. "Intercountry Cost and Price Comparisons (Comparaison de prix et de coÃ»ts entre certains pays industriels) (Comparaciones de costos y precios entre paÃses)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(2), pages 332-388, July.
- Francois, Joseph & McDonald, Brad & Nordström, Håkan, 1996. "A User's Guide to Uruguay Round Assessments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1410, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard & Francois, Joseph, 1997. "Preferential Trade Liberalization in the North Atlantic," CEPR Discussion Papers 1611, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989.
"Measureable Dynamic Gains from Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
3147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, M. A. M., 1976. "Trade, growth and consumption in alternative models of capital accumulation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 371-384, November.
- Smith, M A M, 1977. "Capital Accumulation in the Open Two-Sector Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 273-82, June.
- Haaland, Jan I., 1994. "The Uruguay Round and Trade in Manufactures and Services. General Equilibrium Simulations of Production, Trade and Welfare Effects of Liberalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 1008, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francois, Joseph F, 1994. "Global Production and Trade: Factor Migration and Commercial Policy with International Scale Economies," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 565-81, August.
- Francois, Joseph, 1998. "Scale Economies and Imperfect Competition in the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 317, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-25, May.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Nam Jeon, Bang & von Furstenberg, George M., 1986. "Techniques for measuring the welfare effects of protection: Appraising the choices," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 273-303.
- Spinanger, Dean, 1997. "The WTO after the Singapore ministerial: Much to do about what?," Kiel Discussion Papers 304, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Sawyer, W. Charles & Sprinkle, Richard L., 1997. "The Demand for Imports and Exports in Japan: A Survey," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 247-259, June.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Ellen L. Frost, 1997. "Transatlantic Trade: A Strategic Agenda," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa48, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:997. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.