CAP Reform, the Berlin Summit, and EU Enlargement
The paper discusses the decisions on the CAP in the context of the Berlin summit. In a rather broad perspective the agricultural sectoral and related objectives are analyzed for their consistency and compatability with higher ranking societal objectives. The policiesÂ’ allocational and distributional consequences are assessed in a qualitative manner by comparing them with a hypothetical first-best policy. The analysis focusses on the distortions in land allocation between agriculture, forestry and environmental purposes as well as on distributional consequences, taking into account the envisaged eastern enlargement. Among the consequences are excessive budget outlays and high economic rents for landowners, who are increasingly no active farmers themselves. Finally, problems of implementing a liberal CAP reform are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym, 1999. "The WTO Agenda for the New Millennium," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(228), pages 77-88, March.
- Swinbank, Alan, 1999. "CAP Reform and the WTO: Compatibility and Developments," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 389-407, August.
- Tangermann, Stefan, 1999. "The European Union Perspective on Agricultural Trade Liberalization in the WTO," Working Papers 157500, University of Guelph, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Carsten Daugbjerg, 1999. "Reforming the CAP: Policy Networks and Broader Institutional Structures," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 407-428, 09.
- Josling, Tim & Tangermann, Stefan, 1999. "Implementation of the WTO Agreement on Agriculture and Developments for the Next Round of Negotiations," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 371-88, August.
- Janet M. Egdell & Kenneth J. Thomson, 1999. "The Influence of UK NGOs on the Common Agricultural Policy," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 121-131, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:973. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.