Stock Market Wealth, Private Saving, and the Current Account in the United States: Should We Worry?
The paper investigates by means of cointegration analysis whether the recently observed low levels of private saving and the current account balance in the United States are worrisome in the sense that they cannot be sufficiently explained by determinants which performed well in the past. Stock market wealth of private households is taken into account and turns out to be the main dampening factor of private saving during the nineties. Unlike the current account deficit, which reflects low saving, higher growth with respect to the rest of the world and the high dollar, private saving is much lower than predicted by the model in 1999.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bhatia, Kul B, 1972. "Capital Gains and the Aggregate Consumption Function," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 866-79, December.
- Meier, Carsten-Patrick, 1997. "Assessing convergence to purchasing power parity : a panel study for ten OECD countries," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 1719, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Carsten-Patrick Meier, 1997. "Assessing convergence to purchasing power parity: A panel study for ten OECD countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(2), pages 297-312, 06.
- Peter Boswijk, H., 1994. "Testing for an unstable root in conditional and structural error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 37-60, July.
- Scheide, Joachim, 1984. "Geldpolitik, Konjunktur und rationale Erwartungen," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 378, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Francois R. Velde, 1999. "Americans are not saving: should we worry?," Chicago Fed Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:963. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.