European integration deepening and widening: implications for Asia
The paper discusses the relevance of past concerns about trade and foreign direct investment diversion to the detriment of Asian suppliers and hosts as a result of EU integration deepening and widening in the nineties. Based on recent empirical evidence, these concerns are rejected. As concerns integration deepening through the Single Market Program (SMP), trade resistance factors on the EU import side can be explained mainly by slow growth in Europe in the first half of the nineties rather than by SMP-induced trade barriers. Concerning integration widening toward Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), higher trade and investment shares of CEE are seen as a process of normalization which materialized earlier than the effects of the Europe Agreements. As trade overlaps between Asian and CEE supply on EU markets are low, the trade diversion fear is not well-founded. The paper also addresses the likely implications of the Single European Currency for Asia. Preliminary findings suggest that short-term implications are small but qualifications have to be made given the insufficient data base concerning the use of European currencies for invoicing, financial transactions, anchor and reserve purposes in Asia.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hughes Hallett, A J, 1994. "The Impact of EC-92 on Trade in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 121-46, January.
- Michael W. S. Davenport, 1990. "The External Policy of the Community and its Effects upon the Manufactured Exports of the Developing Countries," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 181-200, December.
- Anderson, Ronald W. & Powell, Andrew, 1991. "Markets, Stabilisation and Structural Adjustment in Eastern European Agriculture," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 1991007, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Widgren, Mika, 1995. " Probabilistic Voting Power in the EU Council: The Cases of Trade Policy and Social Regulation," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 345-56, June.
- Michael P. Dooley & J. Saul Lizondo & Donald J. Mathieson, 1989. "The Currency Composition of Foreign Exchange Reserves," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 385-434, June.
- Phedon Nicolaides, 1990. "Responding to European Integration: Developing Countries and Services," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 201-215, December.
- Yusuru Ozeki & George S. Tavlas, 1992. "The Internationalization of Currencies; An Appraisal of the Japanese Yen," IMF Occasional Papers 90, International Monetary Fund.
- Anderson, Kym, 1991. "Europe 1992 and the Western Pacific Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1538-52, November.
- Piazolo, Daniel, 1997. "Trade Integration between Eastern and Western Europe: Policies Follow the Market," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 12, pages 259-297.
- Sanoussi Bilal, 1998. "Political Economy Considerations on the Supply of Trade Protection in Regional Integration Agreements," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 1-32, 03.
- Norbert Funke & Mike Kennedy, 1997. "International Implications of European Economic and Monetary Union," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 174, OECD Publishing.
- Sheila Page, 1992. "Some Implications of Europe 1992 for Developing Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 60, OECD Publishing.
- Kreinin, Mordechai E. & Plummer, Michael G., 1992. "Effects of economic integration in industrial countries on ASEAN and the Asian NIEs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1345-1366, September.
- Christopher Stevens, 1990. "The Impact of Europe 1992 on the Maghreb and Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 217-241, December.
- Jocelyn Horne, 1996. "East Asia and Eastern Europe Trade Linkages and Issues," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 261, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- ALAN MATTHEWS & DERMOT McALEESE, 1990. "LDC Primary Exports to the EC: Prospects Post-1992," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 157-180, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:892. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.