Leading indicators for Euroland's business cycle
The paper investigates a set of possible leading indicators for Euroland's business cycle using aggregated quarterly data. The theoretical plausibility, the behavior at business cycle turning points and the mean leads are analyzed. Furthermore, evidence from cross-correlations and Granger-causality tests is presented. Taking all evidence together, real monetary aggregates, nominal interest rates and the interest rate spread are recommended as leading indicators, whereas survey data on order inflow and production expectations are the best coincident indicators.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendry, David F, 1997. "The Econometrics of Macroeconomic Forecasting," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1330-57, September.
- Victor Zarnowitz, 1992. "Business Cycles: Theory, History, Indicators, and Forecasting," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number zarn92-1, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1987.
"Scoring the leading indicators,"
Special Studies Papers
206, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Apostolos Serletis & David Krause, 1996. "Nominal stylized facts of U. S. business cycles," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 49-54.
- Norbert Funke, 1997. "Predicting recessions: Some evidence for Germany," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 90-102, March.
- Davis, E Philip & Fagan, Gabriel, 1997. "Are Financial Spreads Useful Indicators of Future Inflation and Output Growth in EU Countries?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 701-14, Nov.-Dec..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:886. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.