Emerging East-West collaborative networks: An appraisal
Although an extensive amount of literature reviews emerging patterns of east-west co-operation, it is not easy to grasp the state of the art. Too many of the books, articles and papers tend to mark the trees rather than to map the forest. The paper analyses recent trends from the point of view of modern economics which emphasizes the growing use of a wide variety of new types of co-operative mechanisms between firms in organizing international business. It takes an appraising look at the outcome of a recent research project of a group of scholars from east and west. The paper comes to the conclusion that east-west integration is proceeding at a considerable rate. But it is dominated by shallow modes - by arm's length transactions and contract work. To a certain extent, this might reflect new patterns of inter-firm co-operation. But this might also be an indication that co-operation with partners in CECTs is still in a flat state. Eastern firms find it hard to obtain an adequate position in international networks. Their lack of competence, reliability and reputation is often an insurmountable barrier. Accordingly, they must improve upon their technological and organizational standards to be considered by western firms as competent, reliable and trustworthy and, hence, equal partners in collaborational networks.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521480857 is not listed on IDEAS
- Agarwal, Jamuna Prasad & Langhammer, Rolf J. & Lücke, Matthias & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1995. "Export expansion and diversification in Central and Eastern Europe : what can be learnt from East and Southeast Asia?," Kiel Discussion Papers 261, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Gerling, Katja, 1997. "East-west corporate networking: A theoretical approach," Kiel Working Papers 805, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Siebert, Horst, 1994. "Comments : The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatization by P. Aghion, O. Blanchard and R. Burgess," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1357-1361, June.
- Estrin, Saul, 1994. "Comments : The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatization by P. Aghion, O. Blanchard and R. Burgess," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1350-1356, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:882. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.