Southern enlargement of the European Union and capital account liberalization: Lessons for Central and Eastern Europe
The integration of the central and eastern European countries into the international capital markets has been and will be determined by the process of European Union (EU) integration. Our analysis shows that southern and eastern European countries already appear to be surprisingly similar regarding FDI flows from EU members. The central and eastern European countries, however, are likely to attract increased portfolio flows in the years to come. We argue that membership alone in a regional arrangement like the EU is neither sufficient for sustained capital inflows nor is it the guarantee for increased investment activities. Rather, domestic economic policy has to change in accordance: Liberalization matters, not only membership.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V N Balasubramanyam & M Salisu & David Sapsford., .
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries,"
ec18/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Salisu, M & Sapsford, David, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 92-105, January.
- Piazolo, Daniel, 1997. "Gaining credibility and enhancing economic growth through regional integration: The case for EU membership of Eastern Europe," Kiel Working Papers 837, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Inci Ã–tker, 1994. "Exchange Market Pressures and Speculative Capital Flows in Selected European Countries," IMF Working Papers 94/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Leonardo Bartolini & Allan Drazen, 1996.
"Capital Account Liberalization as a Signal,"
NBER Working Papers
5725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Joseph F. Francois & Richard Portes, 1997. "The costs and benefits of eastern enlargement: the impact on the EU and central Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 125-176, 04.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Forslid, Rikard, 2000.
"Trade liberalisation and endogenous growth: A q-theory approach,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 497-517, April.
- Baldwin, Richard & Forslid, Rikard, 1996. "Trade Liberalization and Endogenous Growth: A q-Theory Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 1397, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Rikard Forslid, 1996. "Trade Liberalization and Endogenous Growth: A q-Theory Approach," NBER Working Papers 5549, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Heinrich, Ralph P. & Pierdzioch, Christian, 1998.
"The value of waiting: Russia's integration into the international capital markets,"
Kiel Working Papers
860, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Heinrich, Ralph P. & Pierdzioch, Christian, 1999. "The Value of Waiting: Russia's Integration into the International Capital Markets," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 209-230, June.
- Argimon, Isabel & Roldan, JoseMaria, 1994. "Saving, investment and international capital mobility in EC countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Gibson, Heather D & Tsakalotos, Euclid, 1993. "Testing a Flow Model of Capital Flight in Five European Countries," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 61(2), pages 144-66, June.
- Christodoulakis, Nikos & Karamouzis, Nick, 1993. "Financial Openness and the Effectiveness of Capital Controls in Greece," CEPR Discussion Papers 804, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:871. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.