Globalisation, wage adjustment, and unemployment: An empirical analysis based on the factor price frontier
We investigate the effects of globalisation on the labour market using the factor price frontier. The factor price frontier defines a negative relationship between the real rate of return and the real wage rate. As international capital mobility equalises the real rate of return in all economies, real wages also have to converge. If they do not adjust, unemployment and technical change will result in relatively capitalabundant countries. We estimate the factor price frontier for the United States and for Germany with the Johansen procedure. While the U. S. economy adjusts along a single factor price frontier throughout the sample, there are three distinct frontiers in the German case. The outward shifts of the factor price frontier coincide with significant hikes in unemployment.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:99:y:1984:i:1:p:1-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:107:y:1992:i:2:p:407-37 is not listed on IDEAS
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1995. "Are Your Wages Set in Beijing?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 15-32, Summer.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:107:y:1992:i:2:p:407-37 is not listed on IDEAS
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:834. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.