On the competitive position of Eastern German manufacturing: Why is catching-up so slow?
Seven years after the transition from plan to market, it is hard to summon up much enthusiasm for the results of active restructuring of the eastern German economy. Although companies have made considerable efforts to reach the efficiency level of their western German counterparts, the gap is still large. In our paper, we provide a selective and interpretative account of the restructuring process in eastern German manufacturing. We start with modelling some economic relations which can be considered crucial in the restructuring process: ownership status and overall performance, sectoral and regional specialization, gross output and value added, investment and productivity, and wages and employment. In search of adjustment failures, we examine these relations by comparing the performance of eastern German with that of western German enterprises. Finally, we discuss the key policy question of how to overcome the difficulties. Without an about-face in wage policy, it will be difficult to shift the balance from wage convergence to efficiency convergence.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerling, Katja & Schmidt, Klaus-Dieter, 1997. "Restructuring and competitiveness in the transition process: Evidence from an Eastern German firm panel," Kiel Working Papers 791, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Christian Thimann & Michael Breitner, 1995.
"Eastern Germany and the conflict between wage adjustment, investment, and employment: A numerical analysis,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 131(3), pages 446-469, September.
- Thimann, C & Breitner, M-H, 1995. "Eastern Germany and the Conflict between Wage Adjustment, Investment and Employment : A Numerical Analysis," Papers 02, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521480857 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schmidt, Klaus-Dieter, 1996. "German unification: A progress report," Kiel Working Papers 722, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Aghion, Philippe & Blanchard, Olivier J & Carlin, Wendy, 1994. "The Economics of Enterprise Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1058, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James Angresano, 1995. "Marketization, Restructuring and Competition in Transition Industries of Central and Eastern Europe," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 77-80, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:825. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.