Bargaining in a long-term relationship and the Rubinstein solution
In a recent paper, Muthoo (1995) discusses whether the Rubinstein solution carries over on repeated bargaining situations. He concludes that stationary equilibria for such a repeated bargaining game do not imply the Rubinstein solution and that several non-stationary equilibria may exist. This paper demonstrates that the Rubinstein solution applies not only to unique bargaining problems but to repeated bargaining problems as well. It demonstrates that stationarity holds also in Muthoo's model, and it shows that a certain result of Muthoo which makes the split of bargaining gains independent of the discount factors is no relevant case as the discounted sum of each agent's utility is infinite. The paper introduces an alternative approach which takes into account that offers may cover also future realizations by employing future contracts. It shows that the agreement depends crucially on the enforceability of contracts if bargaining behavior fulfils a rationality condition.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1984. "Involuntary Unemployment as a Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(6), pages 1351-64, November.
- Farrell, Joseph & Maskin, Eric, 1987.
"Renegotiation in Repeated Games,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt9wv3h5jb, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Muthoo Abhinay, 1995.
"Bargaining in a Long-Term Relationship with Endogenous Termination,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 590-598, August.
- Abhinay Muthoo, . "Bargaining in a Long-Term Relationbship with Endogenous Termination," Economics Discussion Papers 422, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Sutton, John, 1986. "Non-cooperative Bargaining Theory: An Introduction," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 709-24, October.
- Akira Okada, 1986. "A Two-Person Repeated Bargaining Game with Long-Term Contracts," Discussion Papers 706, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Abreu, Dilip, 1988. "On the Theory of Infinitely Repeated Games with Discounting," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 383-96, March.
- Evans, Robert & Maskin, Eric, 1989. "Efficient renegotiation--proof equilibria in repeated games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 361-369, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:759. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.