Labour markets in Poland and Hungary five years from the start of transition: Evidence from monthly data
This paper presents error correction estimates of a simple interdependent model of the labour market using monthly data over 1990-1994 for the industrial sector in Poland and Hungary. The aim is to investigate three issues in the performance of labour markets during transition. First, is there a stable labour market equilibrium or do high unemployment rates across the region indicate hysteresis? Second, has the intensity of employment adjustment increased with progress in institutional reforms that strengthened corporate governance at the enterprise level? Third, what governs the evolution of real wages and to what extent is there evidence for strong insider power in the labour market? The results reveal striking differences between Poland and Hungary. The former exhibits hysteresis and evidence for considerable insider power while the latter has experienced adjustment towards a stable labour market equilibrium. The intensity of adjustment, however, is high in both countries over the sample period and fails to respond to the initiation of institutional reforms.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Franz, Wolfgang, 1995.
"Central and East European Labour Markets in Transition: Developments, Causes, and Cures,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1132, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Franz, Wolfgang, 1994. "Central and East European labor markets in transition: Developments, causes, and cures," Discussion Papers 19, University of Konstanz, Center for International Labor Economics (CILE).
- J Bonin & M Schaffer, 1995.
"Banks, Firms, Bad Debts and Bankruptcy in Hungary 1991-4,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0234, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- J. P. Bonin & M. E. Schaffer, 1995. "Banks, firms, bad debts and bankruptcy in Hungary 1991-4," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20764, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Long, Ngo Van & Siebert, Horst, 1991.
"A model of the socialist firm in transition to a market economy,"
Kiel Working Papers
479, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ngo Long & Horst Siebert, 1992. "A model of the socialist firm in transition to a market economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 56(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Long, Ngo Van & Siebert, Horst, 1991. "A model of the socialist firm in transition to a market economy," Kiel Working Papers 479, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- C Bean, 1992.
"European Unemployment: A Survey,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0071, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Szekely,Istvan & Newbery,David M. G., 2008.
"Hungary: An Economy in Transition,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521057547.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1987.
"Efficiency wages versus insiders and outsiders,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 407-416.
- Hare, Paul G & Hughes, Gordon, 1991. "Competitiveness and Industrial Restructuring in Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland," CEPR Discussion Papers 543, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heinrich, Ralph P., 1993. "Microeconomic adjustment in Hungary: Results from a survey of enterprises," Kiel Working Papers 599, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- David Begg & Richard Portes, 1993.
"Enterprise debt and economic transformation (Financial restructuring of the state sector in Central and Eastern Europe),"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 1(1), pages 116-117, 01.
- Begg, David & Portes, Richard, 1992. "Enterprise Debt and Economic Transformation: Financial Restructuring of the State Sector in Central and Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 695, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- S Estrin & P Hare & M Suranyi, 1992. "Banking in Transition: Development and Current Problems in Hungary," CEP Discussion Papers dp0068, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pinto, Brian & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1994.
"Ownership and corporate control in Poland : why state firms defied the odds,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1308, The World Bank.
- Pinto, Brian & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1995. "Ownership and Corporate Control in Poland: Why State Firms Defied the Odds," CEPR Discussion Papers 1273, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Schmieding, 1993. "From plan to market: On the nature of the transformation crisis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 129(2), pages 216-253, June.
- Coe, David T, 1990. "Insider-Outsider Influences on Industry Wages: Evidence from Fourteen Industrialized Countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 163-83.
- Burda, Michael C & Funke, Michael, 1991.
"German Trade Unions After Unification: Third Degree Wage Discriminating Monopolists?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
573, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Burda & Michael Funke, 1993. "German trade unions after unification — Third degree wage discriminating monopolists?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 129(3), pages 537-560, September.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107, May.
- Josef C. Brada & Inderjit Singh & Adám Török, 1994. "Firms Afloat and Firms Adrift: Hungarian Industry and the Economic Transition," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(1), pages 1-104, February.
- Josef C. Brada, 1990. "Introduction," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 28(4), pages 3-6, July.
- Lane Timothy D., 1994. "Wage Controls and Employment in Economies in Transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 171-187, October.
- Coricelli, F. & Revenga, A., 1992. "Wage Policy During the Transition to a Market Economy: Poland 1990-91," World Bank - Discussion Papers _71, World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:742. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.