Regional policy, convergence and subsidiarity in the European Community
The aim of this paper is to shed light on how real income has developed across the member states and regions of the EC and to consider what demands this will place on regional policy. According to the principle of subsidiarity, a necessary, though not a sufficient, condition for EC intervention would be to prove that the scale of regional problems is too great to be handled by member states. Using two concepts of convergence, it can be shown that income convergence across the member states and even across the regions of the EC is the norm. Based on the principle of subsidiarity, policy implications concerning the assignment of a complementary function for redistributive regional policy to the EC tier are derived from the empirical evidence.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben-David, Dan, 1993. "Equalizing Exchange: Trade Liberalization and Income Convergence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 653-79, August.
- Begg, Iain & Mayes, David, 1993. "Cohesion in the European community : A key imperative for the 1990s?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 427-448, July.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Danny Quah, 1992.
"Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
75, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 426-434, April.
- Danny Quah, 1992. "Empirical Cross-Section Dynamics in Economic Growth," FMG Discussion Papers dp154, Financial Markets Group.
- Opp, Karl-Dieter, 1994. "The Role of Voice in a Future Europe," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 385-402.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & Damien Neven & Claudine Gouyette, 1994. "European Integration and Regional Growth," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 45(3), pages 703-714.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.