German unification: A progress report
In the five years after unification, efforts to bring up the eastern part of Germany to the level of the western one have made considerable progress. Eastern Germany's growth is moving towards the double digits, just like growth in the Pacific Rim region. But not all things have developed as well as they might. Rapid wage convergence has caused enormous unemployment in the east and a heavy tax burden in financing massive transfer payments in the west. The paper analyses the catching up of the eastern German economy against the background of the unpleasant trade-off between the pace of wage increase and the level of transfer payments necessary to spur investment and to finance consumption. It describes - first, the two-pronged policy mix to reconstruct and modernize the eastern German economy on a firm level, and, - second, typical adjustment profiles for the economy as a whole with regard to capital stock, output, and employment. Finally, it discusses the key policy question of how the high unemployment as well as the high costs of public assistance could be reduced.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hughes Hallett, A. & Ma, Y. & Melitz, J., 1996.
"Unification and the policy predicament in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 519-544, October.
- Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Ma, Yue & Melitz, Jacques, 1994. "Unification and the Policy Predicament in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hughes Hallett, A & Ma, Y & Melitz, J, 1995. "Unification and the Policy Predicament in Gemany," Papers 01, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- Sinn, Gerlinde & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1992. "Kaltstart. Volkswirtschaftliche Aspekte der Deutschen Vereinigung," Monograph, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 2, number urn:isbn:9783161459429, May.
- Begg, David & Portes, Richard, 1992.
"Eastern Germany Since Unification: Wage Subsidies Remain a Better Way,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Begg & Richard Portes, 1993. "Eastern Germany since unification: wage subsidies remain a better way," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 1(4), pages 383-400, December.
- Carlin, Wendy & Richthofen, Peter, 1995.
"Finance, economic development and the transition: the East German case,"
Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment
FS I 95-301, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Wendy Carlin & Peter Richthofen, 1995. "Finance, economic development and the transition: the East German case," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(2), pages 169-195, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:722. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.