The impact of accession to GATT on trade-related policies of CIS countries: the case of Belarus
This paper investigates which policies CIS countries need to reform when they accede to GATT. The objectives to be pursued through trade policy (e.g. raising fiscal revenue, protecting industries, regional integration) must be defined clearly when tariff levels are bound. Some streamlining (e.g. tariffication of export quotas) is also required. The format of regional integration with Russia (free trade area vs. customs union with joint GATT membership) must not discriminate against GATT contracting parties, and will be influenced by whether Russia is willing to export energy at its low domestic price. Furthermore, systemic reforms need to be accelerated to dispel concerns about discrimination against imports, or hidden subsidies for exports.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 1994. "Designing new trade policies for the CIS states: legacies, barriers and prerequisites," Kiel Working Papers 625, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992.
"Protection for Sale,"
162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Protection for Sale," CEPR Discussion Papers 827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992. "Protection For Sale," NBER Working Papers 4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:678. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.