Foreign direct investment and trade in transition countries: Tracing links
Several studies have emphasized the links between trade reorientation and industrial restructuring in transition countries. In these studies trade has usually been considered as transactions among unrelated enterprises in different countries. However, an important and steadily growing share of trade are transactions with multinational enterprises and their foreign affiliates. Foreign direct investment of multinationals is the missing link in explaining this type of trade. The paper deals with the so-called intra-firm trade of multinationals operating in transition countries. It argues that trade within the internal networks of multinationals is the major route for international technology'transfer. It summarizes shortly previous studies and takes a glance at the trade structure of Hungarian enterprises involved in a joint venture. Finally, it discusses the implications for corporate restructuring in transition countries.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Vertical Inter-Firm Linkages in LDCs: An Empirical Study," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 42(3), pages 203-26, August.
- Dunning, John H., 1974. "Multinational enterprises and trade flows of less developed countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 131-138, February.
- Mario Zejan, 1989. "Intra-firm trade and Swedish multinationals," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 125(4), pages 814-833, December.
- Hare, Paul G & Hughes, Gordon, 1991. "Competitiveness and Industrial Restructuring in Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland," CEPR Discussion Papers 543, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Gundlach, Erich & Agarwal, Jamuna Prasad, 1994. "Globalisation of production and markets," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 807, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Naujoks, Petra & Schmidt, Klaus-Dieter, 1994. "Outward processing in Central and East European transition countries: Issues and results from German statistics," Kiel Working Papers 631, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1973. "Transfer-Pricing by Multinational Manufacturing Firms," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 35(3), pages 173-95, August.
- Landesmann, Michael & Székely, Istvan P., 1991. "Industrial Restructuring and the Reorientation of Trade in Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland," CEPR Discussion Papers 546, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:667. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.