The world trading system: Recent trends
Tariffs no longer represent the most serious impediment to international trade. As the importance of tariffs in restricting free trade has been declining, non-tariff barriers are becoming increasingly important. The use of selected non-tariff barriers is analyzed, focusing on anti-dumping measures, voluntary export restraints, trade related investment measures, and trade related intellectual property rights. Coming multilateral negotiations will have to concentrate on non-tariff barriers. A first prerequisite for successful negotiations is to increase transparency of these instruments. Only if transparency is ensured, improved enforcement mechanisms can be implemented.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V.N. Balasubramanyam, .
"Putting TRIMS to Good Use,"
ec5/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- David Greenaway, 1990.
"Trade Related Investment Measures: Political Economy Aspects and Issues for GATT,"
in: New Issues in the Uruguay Round, pages 367-385
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Greenaway, 1990. "Trade Related Investment Measures: Political Economy Aspects and Issues for GATT," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 367-385, 09.
- Alison Butler, 1990. "The trade-related aspects of intellectual property rights: what is at stake?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 34-46.
- Rolf Weidemann, 1990. "The anti-dumping policy of the European Communities," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 28-35, January.
- P.K.M. Tharakan, 1993. "Contingent Protection: The US and the EC Anti-dumping Actions," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 575-600, 09.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1990. "Should Patent Protection Be Extended to All Developing Countries?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 497-508, December.
- Arvind Subramanian, 1990. "TRIPs and the Paradigm of the GATT: a Tropical, Temperate View," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 509-522, December.
- Finger, J Michael, 1992. "Dumping and Antidumping: The Rhetoric and the Reality of Protection in Industrial Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(2), pages 121-43, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:646. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.