The world trading system: Recent trends
Tariffs no longer represent the most serious impediment to international trade. As the importance of tariffs in restricting free trade has been declining, non-tariff barriers are becoming increasingly important. The use of selected non-tariff barriers is analyzed, focusing on anti-dumping measures, voluntary export restraints, trade related investment measures, and trade related intellectual property rights. Coming multilateral negotiations will have to concentrate on non-tariff barriers. A first prerequisite for successful negotiations is to increase transparency of these instruments. Only if transparency is ensured, improved enforcement mechanisms can be implemented.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P.K.M. Tharakan, 1993. "Contingent Protection: The US and the EC Anti-dumping Actions," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 575-600, 09.
- David Greenaway, 1990.
"Trade Related Investment Measures: Political Economy Aspects and Issues for GATT,"
in: New Issues in the Uruguay Round, pages 367-385
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Greenaway, 1990. "Trade Related Investment Measures: Political Economy Aspects and Issues for GATT," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 367-385, 09.
- Finger, J Michael, 1992. "Dumping and Antidumping: The Rhetoric and the Reality of Protection in Industrial Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(2), pages 121-43, July.
- Rolf Weidemann, 1990. "The anti-dumping policy of the European Communities," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 28-35, January.
- Balasubramanyam, V. N., 1991.
"Putting TRIMs to good use,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 1215-1224, September.
- Arvind Subramanian, 1990. "TRIPs and the Paradigm of the GATT: a Tropical, Temperate View," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 509-522, December.
- Alison Butler, 1990. "The trade-related aspects of intellectual property rights: what is at stake?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 34-46.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1990. "Should Patent Protection Be Extended to All Developing Countries?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 497-508, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:646. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.