The world trading system: Recent trends
Tariffs no longer represent the most serious impediment to international trade. As the importance of tariffs in restricting free trade has been declining, non-tariff barriers are becoming increasingly important. The use of selected non-tariff barriers is analyzed, focusing on anti-dumping measures, voluntary export restraints, trade related investment measures, and trade related intellectual property rights. Coming multilateral negotiations will have to concentrate on non-tariff barriers. A first prerequisite for successful negotiations is to increase transparency of these instruments. Only if transparency is ensured, improved enforcement mechanisms can be implemented.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:michin:259 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alison Butler, 1990. "The trade-related aspects of intellectual property rights: what is at stake?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 34-46.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1990. "Should Patent Protection Be Extended to All Developing Countries?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 497-508, December.
- Rolf Weidemann, 1990. "The anti-dumping policy of the European Communities," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 25(1), pages 28-35, January.
- Finger, J Michael, 1992. "Dumping and Antidumping: The Rhetoric and the Reality of Protection in Industrial Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 7(2), pages 121-43, July.
- V.N. Balasubramanyam, .
"Putting TRIMS to Good Use,"
ec5/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Arvind Subramanian, 1990. "TRIPs and the Paradigm of the GATT: a Tropical, Temperate View," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 509-522, December.
- David Greenaway, 1990.
"Trade Related Investment Measures: Political Economy Aspects and Issues for GATT,"
in: New Issues in the Uruguay Round, pages 367-385
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Greenaway, 1990. "Trade Related Investment Measures: Political Economy Aspects and Issues for GATT," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 367-385, 09.
- P.K.M. Tharakan, 1993. "Contingent Protection: The US and the EC Anti-dumping Actions," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 575-600, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:646. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.