Protecting Brazil's tropical forest: a CGE analysis of macroeconomic, sectoral, and regional policies
The 'deforestation problem' in Brazil consists of a variety of interrelated issues, of which this paper identifies a regional, sectoral and macroeconomic dimension. Using a regionally and sectorally disaggregated general equilibrium model of Brazil, it is shown that macroeconomic reform is complementary to conservation policies. Therefore, if not for other reasons, macroeconomic reform is urgently needed to provide an adequate framework for microeconomic conservation policies to be effective. The analysis also shows that regional land taxes in the Amazon outperform the reduction of fiscal incentives for agriculture, both with regards to ecological effectiveness and efficiency. Finally, the results do not support claims for compensation payments.
|Date of creation:||1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rainer Thiele & Manfred Wiebelt, 1993.
"National and international policies for tropical rain forest conservation—A quantitative analysis for Cameroon,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(6), pages 501-531, December.
- Thiele, Rainer & Wiebelt, Manfred, 1993. "National and international policies for tropical rain forest conservation: a quantitative analysis for Cameroon," Kiel Working Papers 570, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Funke, Norbert & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Schweickert, Rainer, 1992. "Brazil: Another lost decade? Domestic policies and attractiveness for foreign capital," Kiel Discussion Papers 188, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Motta, Ronaldo Serôa da, 1993. "Past and current policy issues concerning tropical deforestation in Brazil," Kiel Working Papers 566, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Binswanger, Hans P., 1991. "Brazilian policies that encourage deforestation in the Amazon," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 821-829, July.
- Thiele, Rainer, 1994. "Conserving tropical rain forests in Indonesia: a CGE analysis of alternative policies," Kiel Working Papers 621, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:638. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.