Demand bias as an explanation for structural change
An income elastic demand for services is usually regarded as one of the major explanations for the observed pattern of structural change in the world economy. Recent empirical findings cast some doubt on this demand-bias hypothesis. This paper presents a simple model of structural change that allows an assessment of the implications of alternative demand elasticities. The analysis focusses on restrictions for the set of consistent parameter values derived from demand theory. The results show that lagging productivity growth in the service sector and a homothetic or income inelastic demand for services do not suffice to explain the stylized facts.
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schultz, T Paul, 1985. "Changing World Prices, Women's Wages, and the Fertility Transition: Sweden, 1860-1910," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1126-54, December.
- Locay, Luis, 1990. "Economic Development and the Division of Production between Households and Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 965-82, October.
- Wolff, Edward N., 1985. "Unbalanced Growth, Capital Accumulation and Productivity Growth," Working Papers 85-19, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1991. "Structural Determinants of Real Exchange Rates and National Price Levels: Some Empirical Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 325-34, March.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Gundlach, Erich, 1993. "Die Dienstleistungsnachfrage als Determinante des wirtschaftlichen Strukturwandels," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 763, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Hammes, David L & Rosa, Jean-Jacques & Grubel, Herbert G, 1989. "The National Accounts, Household Service Consumption and Its Monetization," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 3-15.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:594. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.