The European single market: bad news for developing countries?
Developing Countries have been particularly worried by the single-market-program since the EC absorbs more than a third of their total exports. At present, fears of a Fortress Europe and negative net trade effects for DCs appear to be unfounded, however. DCs have proven to be competitive in a number of labour and capital intensive industries in the past; and it is rather unplausible that European suppliers will gain a competitive edge in these industries as a result of the single market. With the exception of agricultural economies specialized on specific products, the net welfare effect of EC-1992 will, therefore, be either positive or at worst zero for most DCs.
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- ALAN MATTHEWS & DERMOT McALEESE, 1990. "LDC Primary Exports to the EC: Prospects Post-1992," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 157-180, December.
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 1992. "Die Assoziierungsabkommen mit der CSFR, Polen und Ungarn: wegweisend oder abweisend?," Kiel Discussion Papers 182, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Agarwal, Jamuna Prasad & Gubitz, Andrea & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1991. "Foreign direct investment in developing countries : the case of Germany," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 423, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Dicke, Hugo & Langhammer, Rolf J., 1990. "The institutional framework and external dimension of the EC internal market," Kiel Working Papers 453, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Emerson, Michael & Gros, Daniel & Italianer, Alexander & ,, 1992. "One Market, One Money: An Evaluation of the Potential Benefits and Costs of Forming an Economic and Monetary Union," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773245.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "The Growth Effects of 1992," NBER Working Papers 3119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amelung, Torsten & Langhammer, Rolf J., 1989. "ACP exports and EC trade preferences revisited," Kiel Working Papers 373, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 1993. "Die Auswirkungen der EG-Handelspolitik gegenüber Mittel- und Osteuropa," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2025, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Weiss, Frank Dietmar & Heitger, Bernhard & Jüttemeier, Karl-Heinz & Kirkpatrick, Grant & Klepper, Gernot, 1988. "Trade policy in West Germany," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 374, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Michael W. S. Davenport, 1990. "The External Policy of the Community and its Effects upon the Manufactured Exports of the Developing Countries," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 181-200, December.
- Gasiorek, Michael & Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J, 1992. "`1992': Trade and Welfare; A General Equilibrium Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 672, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:586. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.