External protection for the emerging market economies? The case for financial liberalisation instead of import barriers in Eastern Europe
The main points of this paper are that the case for transitional import barriers for the EMEs is very weak; neither a discriminatory regional payments union nor a uniform import tariff nor a differentiated tariff schedule designed in accordance with the presumed adjustment difficulties are warranted. A radical liberalisation of the financial system in the EMEs is much better suited to promote and smooth the adjustment to market conditions than any scheme for transitional protection. The paper is organised as follows: at first, the major arguments for transitional protection are addressed; thereafter, various schemes for the protection of the tradable goods sector are analysed; ultimately, a proposal for radical financial liberalisation as a superior substitute for trade protection is presented.
|Date of creation:||1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter B. Kenen, 1991. "Transitional Arrangements for Trade and Payments among the CMEA Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Giersch, Herbert, 1984.
"Elemente einer Theorie weltwirtschaftlicher Entwicklung,"
Kiel Working Papers
220, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Giersch, Herbert, 1984. "Elemente einer Theorie weltwirtschaftlicher Entwicklung," Kiel Working Papers 220, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Panagariya, Arvind & Rodrik, Dani, 1993.
"Political-Economy Arguments for a Uniform Tariff,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(3), pages 685-703, August.
- Bofinger, Peter, 1990. "A Multilateral Payments Union for Eastern Europe?," CEPR Discussion Papers 458, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hare, Paul G & Hughes, Gordon, 1991. "Competitiveness and Industrial Restructuring in Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland," CEPR Discussion Papers 543, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.