Factor market distortions and export performance: An eclect. review of the evidence
This paper is based on a report commissioned by UNCTAD to serve as an input for the 1986 Trade and Development Report. The views expressed here within are solely those of the authors. Furthermore, the publication of this report should in no way be interpreted as official sanctioning or approval of the contents by UNCTAD, nor should even tacit agreement by UNCTAD with the approach, analysis or conclusions be assumed. The report itself attempts to shed some light on a subject which is of paramount importance in international economics, but which has been given surprisingly little attention. The approach taken is based on mainstream economic thought, whereby every effort has been taken to couch the text in terms understandable to informed politicians, businessmen and laymen. This seemed to be essential should the message embodied in this paper be easily absorbed. The authors nonetheless admit that whether the message is accepted depends - inter alia - on the willingness of the reader to allow deductions from an eclectic approach to be generalized upon. Despite this weakness the authors hope that serious discussions will be induced with the aim of improving the international allocation of resources so as to increase the welfare of all parties concerned. In light* of current or rather continuing financial constraints faced by many developing countries, a more efficient use of resources leading to higher income levels must surely be a goal which can be generally agreed upon.
|Date of creation:||1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spinanger, Dean, 1984. "The labor market in Panama: An analysis of the employment impact of the labor code," Kiel Working Papers 221, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Spinanger, Dean, 1986. "Speaking up about the labor code: A survey of employed and unemployed in Panama," Kiel Working Papers 263, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Agarwal, Jamuna Prasad & Dippl, Martin & Langhammer, Rolf J., 1985. "EC trade policies towards associated developing countries : barriers to success," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 440, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Hal B. Lary, 1968. "Imports of Manufactures from Less Developed Countries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lary68-1.
- Young Lee, 1986. "Changing export patterns in Korea, Taiwan and Japan," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 122(1), pages 150-163, March.
- Jacques R. Artus & Rudolf R. Rhomberg, 1973. "A Multilateral Exchange Rate Model (Un modÃ¨le de taux de change multilatÃ©ral) (Un modelo multilateral de tipos de cambio)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 20(3), pages 591-611, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.