Economic Crisis in Argentina and no way out?
Argentina has made the headlines of international media not only for its successful return to democratic political rules in December 1983 but also for its renewed slump into economic crisis. The country is no longer able to meet the debt servicing requirements and to repay loans due this year while auspices for rescheduling and extending foreign debt are bleak. As a corollary tovexternal problems, there are high public sector deficits, inflation is accelerating at a galopping pace, and net private investment has turned negative. Up to now, the new democratic government has not lived up to expectations since it did not present a reform package designed to overcome the severe economic problems of the country. Rather, the government has relied on some ad-hoc emergency measures in an attempt to prevent the crisis from turning into catastrophy.
|Date of creation:||1984|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1984.
"Inflación, Salario Real y Tipo Real de Cambio,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
41, Universidad del CEMA.
- Carlos Alfredo Rodríguez, 1984. "Inflación, Salario Real y Tipo Real de Cambio," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 21(64), pages 247-262.
- Pedro Aspe Armella & Rudiger Dornbusch & Maurice Obstfeld, 1983. "Introduction to "Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries"," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nogues, Julio J., 1983. "Alternative trade strategies and employment in the Argentine manufacturing sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 11(12), pages 1029-1042, December.
- Domingo F. Cavallo & A. Humberto Petrei, 1983. "Financing Private Business in an Inflationary Context: The Experience of Argentina between 1967 and 1980," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries, pages 153-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedro Aspe Armella & Rudiger Dornbusch & Maurice Obstfeld, 1983. "Financial Policies and the World Capital Market: The Problem of Latin American Countries," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number arme83-1, Enero.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.