Bayesian Analysis of Dynamic Factor Models: An Ex-Post Approach towards the Rotation Problem
Due to their indeterminacies, static and dynamic factor models require identifying assumptions to guarantee uniqueness of the parameter estimates. The indeterminacy of the parameter estimates with respect to orthogonal transformations is known as the rotation problem. The typical strategy in Bayesian factor analysis to solve the rotation problem is to introduce ex-ante constraints on certain model parameters via degenerate and truncated prior distributions. This strategy, however, results in posterior distributions whose shapes depend on the ordering of the variables in the data set. We propose an alternative approach where the rotation problem is solved ex-post using Procrustean postprocessing. The resulting order invariance of the posterior estimates is illustrated in a simulation study and an empirical application using a well-known data set containing 120 macroeconomic time series. Favorable properties of the ex-post approach with respect to convergence, statistical and numerical accuracy are revealed
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben S. Bernanke & Jean Boivin & Piotr Eliasz, 2004.
"Measuring the Effects of Monetary Policy: A Factor-Augmented Vector Autoregressive (FAVAR) Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
10220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben Bernanke & Jean Boivin & Piotr S. Eliasz, 2005. "Measuring the Effects of Monetary Policy: A Factor-augmented Vector Autoregressive (FAVAR) Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(1), pages 387-422, January.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Jean Boivin & Piotr Eliasz, 2004. "Measuring the effects of monetary policy: a factor-augmented vector autoregressive (FAVAR) approach," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-03, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Grn, Bettina & Leisch, Friedrich, 2009. "Dealing with label switching in mixture models under genuine multimodality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(5), pages 851-861, May.
- Carvalho, Carlos M. & Chang, Jeffrey & Lucas, Joseph E. & Nevins, Joseph R. & Wang, Quanli & West, Mike, 2008. "High-Dimensional Sparse Factor Modeling: Applications in Gene Expression Genomics," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1438-1456.
- John Geweke, 1991. "Evaluating the accuracy of sampling-based approaches to the calculation of posterior moments," Staff Report 148, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- P. Bentler & Jeffrey Tanaka, 1983. "Problems with EM algorithms for ML factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 247-251, June.
- Aguilar, Omar & West, Mike, 2000. "Bayesian Dynamic Factor Models and Portfolio Allocation," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 338-57, July.
- Matthew Stephens, 2000. "Dealing with label switching in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 795-809.
- Joshua C.C. Chan & Roberto Leon-Gonzalez & Rodney W. Strachan, 2013. "Invariant Inference and Efficient Computation in the Static Factor Model," CAMA Working Papers 2013-32, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- John Geweke & Guofu Zhou, 1996.
"Measuring the Pricing Error of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory,"
CEMA Working Papers
276, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Geweke, John & Zhou, Guofu, 1996. "Measuring the Pricing Error of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 557-87.
- John Geweke & Guofu Zhou, 1995. "Measuring the pricing error of the arbitrage pricing theory," Staff Report 189, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Shawn Ni & Dongchu Sun, 2005. "Bayesian Estimates for Vector Autoregressive Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 105-117, January.
- Robert Lissitz & Peter Schönemann & James Lingoes, 1976. "A solution to the weighted procrustes problem in which the transformation is in agreement with the loss function," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 547-550, December.
- Martin Koschat & Deborah Swayne, 1991. "A weighted procrustes criterion," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 56(2), pages 229-239, June.
- Donald Rubin & Dorothy Thayer, 1982. "EM algorithms for ML factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 69-76, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1902. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.