Multifractal Models in Finance: Their Origin, Propterties, and Applications
This chapter provides an overview over the recently developed so called multifractal (MF) approach for modeling and forecasting volatility. We outline the genesis of this approach from similar models of turbulent flows in statistical physics and provide details on different specifications of multifractal time series models in finance, available methods for their estimation, and the current state of their empirical applications
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Impullitti, Giammario & Irarrazabal, Alfonso A. & Opromolla, Luca David, 2013. "A theory of entry into and exit from export markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 75-90.
- Mary Amiti & David E. Weinstein, 2011.
"Exports and Financial Shocks,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(4), pages 1841-1877.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Satu Nurmi, 2010.
"Dynamics of Export Market Entry and Exit,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 112(1), pages 101-126, 03.
- Andrew Benito & Garry Young, 2007. "Financial Pressure and Balance Sheet Adjustment by Firms," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(5), pages 581-602, October.
- Alfonso A. Irarrazabal & Luca David Opromolla, 2008. "A Theory of Entry and Exit into Exports Markets," Working Papers w200820, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Nicolas Berman & Jérôme Héricourt, 2008.
"Financial Factors and the Margins of Trade: Evidence from Cross-Country Firm-Level Data,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Berman, Nicolas & Héricourt, Jérôme, 2010. "Financial factors and the margins of trade: Evidence from cross-country firm-level data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 206-217, November.
- Nicolas Berman & Jérôme Héricourt, 2008. "Financial factors and the margins of trade : evidence from cross-country firm-level data," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne bla08050, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2004.
"Entry, Expansion, and Intensity in the US Export Boom, 1987-1992,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 662-675, 09.
- Andrew B Bernard & J Bradford Jensen, 2001. "Entry, Expansion, and Intensity in the U.S. Export Boom, 1987-1992," Working Papers 01-09, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Askenazy, Philippe & Caldera, Aida & Gaulier, Guillaume & Irac, Delphine, 2011.
"Financial Constraints and Foreign Market Entries or Exits: Firm Level Evidence from France,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb)
- Askenazy, Ph. & Caldera, A. & Gaulier, G. & Irac, D., 2011. "Financial Constraints and Foreign Market Entries or Exits: Firm-Level Evidence from France," Working papers 328, Banque de France.
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Stefano Schiavo, 2008.
"Financial Constraints and Firm Export Behavior,"
Sciences Po publications
16, 2008, Sciences Po.
- Greenaway, David & Guariglia, Alessandra & Kneller, Richard, 2007. "Financial factors and exporting decisions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 377-395, November.
- Laura Alfaro & Maggie Chen, 2011.
"Surviving the Global Financial Crisis: Foreign Ownership and Establishment Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
17141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Maggie Xiaoyang Chen, 2012. "Surviving the Global Financial Crisis: Foreign Ownership and Establishment Performance," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 30-55, August.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang, 2012. "Surviving the global financial crisis : foreign ownership and establishment performance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5946, The World Bank.
- Sanne Hiller & Philipp J.H. Schroeder & Allan Sorensen, 2013. "Export market exit and firm survival: theory and first evidence," Working Paper Series in Economics 262, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001.
"Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
8629, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2007. "Market Entry Costs, Producer Heterogeneity, and Export Dynamics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(3), pages 837-873, 05.
- Sanghamitra Das & Mark J. Roberts & James R. Tybout, 2001. "Market entry costs, producer heterogeneity and export dynamics," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 03-10, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Askenazy & Nicolas Berman & Gilbert Cette & Laurent Eymard, 2008. "Credit constraints and the cyclicality of R&D investment: Evidence from France," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586744, HAL.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012. "The Post-entry Performance of Cohorts of Export Starters in German Manufacturing Industries☆," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 169-193, July.
- Spiros Bougheas & Paul Mizen & Cihan Yalcin, 2004. "Access to External Finance : Theory and Evidence on the Impact of Firm-Specific Characteristics," Working Papers 0406, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Emanuele Forlani, 2010. "Liquidity Constraints and Firm’s Export Activity," Development Working Papers 291, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 30 Apr 2010.
- Baldwin, Richard, 1990. "Hysteresis in Trade," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 127-42.
- Engel, Dirk & Procher, Vivien & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2013. "Does firm heterogeneity affect foreign market entry and exit symmetrically? Empirical evidence for French firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 85(C), pages 35-47.
- Andrew Benito, 2005. "Financial Pressure, Monetary Policy Effects and Inventories: Firm-level Evidence from a Market-based and a Bank-based Financial System," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(286), pages 201-224, 05.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo A. López, 2008.
"Entry and Exit in International Markets: Evidence from Chilean Data,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 692-708, 09.
- Roberto Alvarez & Ricardo Lopez, 2006. "Entry and Exit in International Markets: Evidence from Chilean Data," Caepr Working Papers 2006-014, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2010.
"Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil,"
Working Paper Series
1245, European Central Bank.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2012. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 134-146.
- Bricongne, J-C. & Fontagné, L. & Gaulier, G. & Taglioni, D. & Vicard, V., 2009. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Working papers 265, Banque de France.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Richard I. Harris & Qian Cher Li, 2011. "The Determinants of Firm Exit from Exporting: Evidence for the UK," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 381-397, November.
- Bell, Venetia & Young, Garry, 2010. "Understanding the weakness of bank lending," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 50(4), pages 311-320.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1860. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.