Establishing a Sustainable Development Goal for Oceans and Coasts to Face the Challenges of our Future Ocean
Oceans regulate our climate, provide us with natural resources such as food, materials, substances, and energy and are essential for international trade, recreational, and cultural activities. Free access to and availability of ocean resources and services, together with human development, have put strong pressures on marine ecosystems, ranging from overfishing and reckless resource extraction to various channels of careless pollution. International cooperation and negotiations are required to protect the marine environment and use marine resources in a way that the needs of future generations will be met. For that purpose, developing and agreeing on a Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Oceans and Coasts could be an essential element for sustainable ocean management. The SDGs will build upon the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and replace them by 2015. Even though ensuring environmental sustainability is one of the eight MDG goals, the ocean is not explicitly included. Furthermore, the creation of a comprehensive underlying set of oceanic sustainability indicators would help assessing the current status of marine systems, diagnose on-going trends, and provide information for forward-locking and sustainable ocean governance
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003.
"Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 647-685, December.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies," Working Papers 2003.109, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Alfsen, Knut H. & Greaker, Mads, 2007.
"From natural resources and environmental accounting to construction of indicators for sustainable development,"
Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 600-610, March.
- Knut H. Alfsen & Mads Greaker, 2006. "From natural resources and environmental accounting to construction of indicators for sustainable development," Discussion Papers 478, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Gibbs, Mark T., 2009. "Resilience: What is it and what does it mean for marine policymakers?," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 322-331, March.
- Partha Dasgupta, 2009. "The Welfare Economic Theory of Green National Accounts," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(1), pages 3-38, January.
- Dietz, Simon & Neumayer, Eric, 2007.
"Weak and strong sustainability in the SEEA: Concepts and measurement,"
Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 617-626, March.
- Simon Dietz & Eric Neumayer, 2007. "Weak and strong sustainability in the SEEA: concepts and measurement," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3058, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bruce C. Glavovic, 2013. "Coastal Innovation Paradox," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(3), pages 912, March.
- Susan Hanson & Robert Nicholls & N. Ranger & Stéphane Hallegatte & Jan Corfee-Morlot & C. Herweijer & J. Chateau, 2011.
"A global ranking of port cities with high exposure to climate extremes,"
- Susan Hanson & Robert Nicholls & N. Ranger & S. Hallegatte & J. Corfee-Morlot & C. Herweijer & J. Chateau, 2011. "A global ranking of port cities with high exposure to climate extremes," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 89-111, January.
- Kenneth J. Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Lawrence H. Goulder & Kevin J. Mumford & Kirsten Oleson, 2010.
"Sustainability and the Measurement of Wealth,"
NBER Working Papers
16599, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hartwick, John M., 1990.
"Natural resources, national accounting and economic depreciation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-304, December.
- John M. Hartwick, 1990. "Natural Resources, National Accounting and Economic Depreciation," Working Papers 771, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- C. Derksen & S. Smith & M. Sharp & L. Brown & S. Howell & L. Copland & D. Mueller & Y. Gauthier & C. Fletcher & A. Tivy & M. Bernier & J. Bourgeois & R. Brown & C. Burn & C. Duguay & P. Kushner & A. L, 2012. "Variability and change in the Canadian cryosphere," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 115(1), pages 59-88, November.
- Ekins, Paul & Simon, Sandrine & Deutsch, Lisa & Folke, Carl & De Groot, Rudolf, 2003. "A framework for the practical application of the concepts of critical natural capital and strong sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2-3), pages 165-185, March.
- Victor, Peter A., 1991. "Indicators of sustainable development: some lessons from capital theory," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 191-213, December.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2009.
"What is sustainability economics?,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
138, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Krellenberg, Kerstin & Kopfmüller, Jürgen & Barton, Jonathan, 2010. "How sustainable is Santiago de Chile? Current performance, future trends, potential measures. Synthesis report of the risk habitat megacity research initiative (2007-2011)," UFZ Reports 04/2010, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ).
- Pezzey, John C V & Withagen, Cees A, 1998. " The Rise, Fall and Sustainability of Capital-Resource Economies," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(2), pages 513-27, June.
- Asheim, Geir B, 1994. " Net National Product as an Indicator of Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(2), pages 257-65.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1847. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.