Ownership Choices of Indian Direct Investors: Do FDI Determinants Differ between Joint Ventures and Wholly-owned Subsidiaries?
Using count data on Indian joint ventures (JVs) and wholly owned subsidiaries (WOS), we present an empirical analysis of FDI-related ownership choices and their relation with host country characteristics and indicators of transaction costs. Our Negative Binomial regression models offer only weak support for the bargaining perspective, according to which JVs should be more likely if the host countries were particularly attractive in terms of market access or resource endowments. Geographical and cultural distance has ambiguous effects on the choice between JVs and WOS. The composition of FDI projects tends to shift toward WOS where investment risks are contained by bilateral treaties and better control of corruption
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Sjoholm, Fredrik, 1999.
"Technology transfer and spillovers: Does local participation with multinationals matter?1,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 915-923, April.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology, Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation With Multinationals Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 268, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Fredrik Sjoholm, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers? Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," NBER Working Papers 6816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sosa Andrés, Maximiliano & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Busse, Matthias, 2012.
"What drives FDI from non-traditional sources? A comparative analysis of the determinants of bilateral FDI flows,"
HWWI Research Papers
114, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Sosa Andrés, Maximiliano & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Busse, Matthias, 2013. "What drives FDI from non-traditional sources? A comparative analysis of the determinants of bilateral FDI flows," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7, pages 1-53.
- Maximiliano Sosa Andrés & Peter Nunnenkamp & Matthias Busse, 2012. "What Drives FDI from Non-traditional Sources? A Comparative Analysis of the Determinants of Bilateral FDI Flows," Kiel Working Papers 1755, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sosa Andrés, Maximiliano & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Busse, Matthias, 2012. "What drives FDI from non-traditional sources? A comparative analysis of the determinants of bilateral FDI flows," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-52, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Maximiliano Sosa Andrés & Krishna Chaitanya Vadlamannati & Andreas Waldkirch, 2012. "What Drives India’s Outward FDI?," Kiel Working Papers 1800, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Mario Zejan, 1989. "Why Do Multinational Firms Seek Out Joint Ventures?," NBER Working Papers 2987, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Hadi Salehi Esfahani, 2001. "Ownership Structure In Foreign Direct Investment Projects," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 647-662, November.
- Svejnar, Jan & Smith, Stephen C, 1984. "The Economics of Joint Ventures in Less Developed Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 99(1), pages 149-67, February.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
- Beata Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2006.
"To Share or Not To Share: Does Local Participation Matter for Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark
2006-001, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2008. "To share or not to share: Does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 194-217, February.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2003. "To share or not to share : does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3118, The World Bank.
- Görg, Holger & Mühlen, Henning & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2010.
"FDI liberalization, firm heterogeneity and foreign ownership: German firm decisions in reforming India,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010
35, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Holger Gorg & Henning Muhlen & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2010. "FDI Liberalisation, Firm Heterogeneity and Foreign Ownership: German Firm Decisions in Reforming India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(8), pages 1367-1384.
- Christian Milelli & Françoise Hay, 2008. "Chinese and Indian firms’ entry into Europe: characteristics, impacts and policy implications," EconomiX Working Papers 2008-35, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Savita Bhat & K. Narayanan, 2011. "Technology Sourcing and Outward FDI: Comparison of Chemicals and Information Technology Industries in India," Transnational Corporations Review, Ottawa United Learning Academy, vol. 3(2), pages 50-64, June.
- Kobrin, Stephen J., 1987. "Testing the bargaining hypothesis in the manufacturing sector in developing countries," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(04), pages 609-638, September.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2004. "The determinants of outward foreign direct investment: a firm-level analysis of Indian manufacturing," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 619-639.
- Ramachandran, Vijaya, 1993. "Technology Transfer, Firm Ownership, and Investment in Human Capital," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 664-70, November.
- Deepak Nayyar, 2008. "The Internationalization of Firms From India: Investment, Mergers and Acquisitions," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 111-131.
- William H. Greene, 2009.
"Testing Hypotheses About Interaction Terms in Nonlinear Models,"
09-08, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Greene, William, 2010. "Testing hypotheses about interaction terms in nonlinear models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 291-296, May.
- Benjamin Gomes-Casseres, 1990. "Firm Ownership Preferences and Host Government Restrictions: An Integrated Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, Jr., 2002.
"The Costs of Shared Ownership: Evidence from International Joint Ventures,"
in: Corporate Alliances
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Desai, Mihir A. & Foley, C. Fritz & Hines, James Jr., 2004. "The costs of shared ownership: Evidence from international joint ventures," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 323-374, August.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Donald J Lecraw, 1984. "Bargaining Power, Ownership, and Profitability of Transnational Corporations in Developing Countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 15(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Raff, Horst & Ryan, Michael & Stähler, Frank, 2009. "Whole vs. shared ownership of foreign affiliates," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 572-581, September.
- John H. Dunning & Changsu Kim & Donghyun Park, 2008. "Old Wine in New Bottles: A Comparison of Emerging-Market TNCs Today and Developed-Country TNCs Thirty Years Ago," Chapters, in: The Rise of Transnational Corporations from Emerging Markets, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
- Jaya Prakash Pradhan, 2011. "Emerging Multinationals: A Comparison of Chinese and Indian Outward Foreign Direct Investment," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 3(1), pages 113-148, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1841. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.