Needs-Based Targeting or Favoritism? The Regional Allocation of Multilateral Aid within Recipient Countries
The regional allocation of aid within recipient countries has been largely ignored in the aid allocation literature. We use geocoded data on the location of aid projects financed by the World Bank and the African Development Bank within a sample of 27 recipient countries to assess the claim of donors that their aid targets needy population segments. We also assess whether political leaders in these countries direct aid funds to their home region, irrespective of regional needs. We do not find that the multilateral aid institutions take regional needs into account. Instead, favoritism appears to play an important role for location choices, in particular for physical infrastructure projects
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Santos Silva, Joao M C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2009.
"Further simulation evidence on the performance of the Poisson pseudo-maximum likelihood estimator,"
Economics Discussion Papers
3546, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C. & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2011. "Further simulation evidence on the performance of the Poisson pseudo-maximum likelihood estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 220-222, August.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2009. "Further simulation evidence on the performance of the Poisson pseudo-maximum likelihood estimator," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25506, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2009. "Further Simulation Evidence on the Performance of the Poisson Pseudo-Maximum Likelihood Estimator," CEP Discussion Papers dp0933, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fleck, Robert K. & Kilby, Christopher, 2010.
"Changing aid regimes? U.S. foreign aid from the Cold War to the War on Terror,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 185-197, March.
- Robert K. Fleck & Christopher Kilby, 2009. "Changing Aid Regimes? U.S. Foreign Aid from the Cold War to the War on Terror," Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics Working Paper Series 1, Villanova School of Business Department of Economics and Statistics.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes & Sosa Andrés, Maximiliano, 2012.
"Need, merit, and politics in multilateral aid allocation: A district-level analysis of World Bank projects in India,"
Kiel Working Papers
1783, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler & Maximiliano Sosa Andrés, 2012. "Need, Merit, and Politics in Multilateral Aid Allocation: A District-Level Analysis of World Bank Projects in India," Kiel Working Papers 1783, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Thiele, Rainer & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Dreher, Axel, 2007.
"Do donors target aid in line with the millennium development goals? A sector perspective of aid allocation,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
4164, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Rainer Thiele & Peter Nunnenkamp & Axel Dreher, 2007. "Do Donors Target Aid in Line with the Millennium Development Goals? A Sector Perspective of Aid Allocation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(4), pages 596-630, December.
- Rainer Thiele & Peter Nunnenkamp & Axel Dreher, 2010. "Do Donors Target Aid in Line with the Millennium Development Goals? A Sector Perspective of Aid Allocation," Working Papers id:3026, eSocialSciences.
- Thiele, Rainer & Nunnenkamp, Peter & Dreher, Axel, 2007. "Do Donors Target Aid in Line with the Millennium Development Goals? A Sector Perspective of Aid Allocation," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Roland Hodler & Paul A. Raschky, 2010.
"Foreign Aid and Enlightened Leaders,"
10.05, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Findley, Michael G. & Powell, Josh & Strandow, Daniel & Tanner, Jeff, 2011. "The Localized Geography of Foreign Aid: A New Dataset and Application to Violent Armed Conflict," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1995-2009.
- Stijn Claessens & Danny Cassimon & Bjorn Van Campenhout, 2009. "Evidence on Changes in Aid Allocation Criteria," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 23(2), pages 185-208, June.
- Dollar, David & Levin, Victoria, 2006. "The Increasing Selectivity of Foreign Aid, 1984-2003," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2034-2046, December.
- Anke Hoeffler & Verity Outram, 2011.
"Need, Merit, or Self‐Interest—What Determines the Allocation of Aid?,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 237-250, 05.
- Anke Hoeffler & Verity Outram, 2008. "Need, Merit or Self-Interest - What Determines the Allocation of Aid?," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-19, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1838. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.