On Assortative and Disassortative Mixing Scale-Free Networks: The Case of Interbank Credit Networks
Networks constructed from credit relationships in the interbank market have been found to exhibit disassortative mixing together with a scale-free degree distribution, in contrast to most social networks that are assortative and not necessarily scale-free. This provokes the question whether generating mechanisms for scale-free networks have enough flexibility to generate both assortative and disassortative structures depending on their parametrization. Using Monte-Carlo simulations, we show that scale-free networks with a small tail exponent tend to be disassortative. However, the simulations indicate also that the level of disassortativity is sensitive to changes in the scaling exponent and the density. A given combination of disassortativity, scaling of the degree distribution, and density in an empirical data set, might be hard or impossible to obtain from any of the known generating mechanisms for scale-free networks
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. De Masi & G. Iori & G. Caldarelli, 2006.
"A fitness model for the Italian Interbank Money Market,"
- de Masi, G. & Iori, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2006. "A fitness model for the Italian interbank money market," Working Papers 06/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter E. Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Beaupain, Renaud & Durré, Alain, 2013.
"Central bank reserves and interbank market liquidity in the euro area,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 259-284.
- Beaupain, Renaud & Durré, Alain, 2012. "Nonlinear liquidity adjustments in the euro area overnight money market," Working Paper Series 1500, European Central Bank.
- R. Beaupain & A. Durre, 2013. "Central bank reserves and interbank market liquidity in the euro area," Post-Print hal-00840147, HAL.
- Karl Finger & Daniel Fricke & Thomas Lux, 2013.
"Network analysis of the e-MID overnight money market: the informational value of different aggregation levels for intrinsic dynamic processes,"
Computational Management Science,
Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 187-211, June.
- Finger, Karl & Fricke, Daniel & Lux, Thomas, 2012. "Network analysis of the e-MID overnight money market: The informational value of different aggregation levels for intrinsic dynamic processes," Kiel Working Papers 1782, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Karl Finger & Daniel Fricke & Thomas Lux, 2012. "Network Analysis of the e-MID Overnight Money Market: The Informational Value of Different Aggregation Levels for Intrinsic Dynamic Processes," Kiel Working Papers 1782, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- N. Lesca, 2010. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640602, HAL.
- Michael D. König & Claudio J. Tessone & Yves Zenou, 2010.
"From Assortative To Dissortative Networks: The Role Of Capacity Constraints,"
Advances in Complex Systems (ACS),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(04), pages 483-499.
- König, Michael & Tessone, Claudio J. & Zenou, Yves, 2010. "From Assortative to Dissortative Networks: The Role of Capacity Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 8052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael D. K\"onig & Claudio J. Tessone & Yves Zenou, . "From Assortative to Dissortative Networks: The Role of Capacity Constraints," Working Papers CCSS-10-012, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- Fricke, Daniel & Lux, Thomas, 2012.
"Core-periphery structure in the overnight money market: Evidence from the e-MID trading platform,"
Kiel Working Papers
1759, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Thomas Lux, Daniel Fricke, 2012. "Core-Periphery Structure in the Overnight Money Market: Evidence from the e-MID Trading Platform," Kiel Working Papers 1759, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1830. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.