Network Analysis of the e-MID Overnight Money Market: The Informational Value of Different Aggregation Levels for Intrinsic Dynamic Processes
In this paper, we analyze the network properties of the Italian e-MID data based on overnight loans during the period 1999-2010. We show that the networks appear to be random at the daily level, but contain significant non-random structure for longer aggregation periods. In this sense, the daily networks cannot be considered as being representative for the underlying `latent' network. Rather, the development of various network statistics under time aggregation points toward strong non-random determinants of link formation. We also identify the global financial crisis as a significant structural break for many network measures
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market liquidity and funding liquidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24478, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," FMG Discussion Papers dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Beaupain, Renaud & Durré, Alain, 2012. "Nonlinear liquidity adjustments in the euro area overnight money market," Working Paper Series 1500, European Central Bank.
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2006.
"Using Market Information for Banking System Risk Assessment,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(1), March.
- Elsinger, Helmut & Lehar, Alfred & Summer, Martin, 2005. "Using Market Information for Banking System Risk Assessment," MPRA Paper 817, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wilkinson, Ian & Young, Louise, 2002. "On cooperating: firms, relations and networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 123-132, February.
- Brodt, Abraham I., 1978. "A dynamic balance sheet management model for a Canadian chartered bank," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 221-241, October.
- Bech, Morten L. & Atalay, Enghin, 2010.
"The topology of the federal funds market,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 389(22), pages 5223-5246.
- F. Kyriakopoulos & S. Thurner & C. Puhr & S. W. Schmitz, 2009. "Network and eigenvalue analysis of financial transaction networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 71(4), pages 523-531, October.
- Michael Boss & Helmut Elsinger & Martin Summer & Stefan Thurner, 2004. "Network topology of the interbank market," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(6), pages 677-684.
- Fricke, Daniel, 2012.
"Trading strategies in the overnight money market: Correlations and clustering on the e-MID trading platform,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 391(24), pages 6528-6542.
- Daniel Fricke, 2012. "Trading Strategies in the Overnight Money Market: Correlations and Clustering on the e-MID Trading Platform," Kiel Working Papers 1766, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- G. De Masi & G. Iori & G. Caldarelli, 2006.
"A fitness model for the Italian Interbank Money Market,"
- de Masi, G. & Iori, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2006. "A fitness model for the Italian interbank money market," Working Papers 06/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Iori, G. & Masi, G. D. & Precup, O. V. & Gabbi, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2005.
"A network analysis of the Italian oversight money market,"
05/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Iori, Giulia & De Masi, Giulia & Precup, Ovidiu Vasile & Gabbi, Giampaolo & Caldarelli, Guido, 2008. "A network analysis of the Italian overnight money market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Kimmo Soramaki & Morten L. Bech & Jeffrey Arnold & Robert J. Glass & Walter Beyeler, 2006.
"The topology of interbank payment flows,"
243, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Mauro Gallegati & Gianfranco Giulioni & Alan Kirman & Antonio Palestrini, 2010.
"What's that got to do with the price of fish? Buyers behavior on the Ancona fish market,"
- Gallegati, Mauro & Giulioni, Gianfranco & Kirman, Alan & Palestrini, Antonio, 2011. "What’s that got to do with the price of fish? Buyers behavior on the Ancona fish market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 20-33.
- Kirman, Alan P. & Vriend, Nicolaas J., 2001. "Evolving market structure: An ACE model of price dispersion and loyalty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 459-502, March.
- Daniel Fricke & Thomas Lux, 2013. "On the Distribution of Links in the Interbank Network: Evidence from the e-Mid Overnight Money Market," Kiel Working Papers 1819, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Cocco, João F. & Gomes, Francisco J. & Martins, Nuno C., 2009. "Lending relationships in the interbank market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 24-48, January.
- Thomas Lux, Daniel Fricke, 2012. "Core-Periphery Structure in the Overnight Money Market: Evidence from the e-MID Trading Platform," Kiel Working Papers 1759, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1782. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.