The sensitivity of distributional measures to the reference period of income
When individual or household incomes are collected for administrative or scientific surveys, the reference period of income is sometimes a month, sometimes a quarter, and sometimes a year. This reference period of income likely affects the shape of the distribution and derived measures of inequality, poverty, and mobility. Using employment histories of German residents, the present study systematically explores the sensitivity of distributional measures to the length of the reference period of income. Estimates from annual, quarterly and monthly distributions are provided for one and a half decades, starting from year 1991
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lena Mareike Detlefsen, 2012. "Earnings Inequality – Does the Accounting Period Matter?," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 132(2), pages 297-321.
- Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo & Lüthen, Holger, 2011.
"Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6020, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Timm Bönke & Giacomo Corneo & Holger Lüthen, 2011. "Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1160, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lüthen, Holger & Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo, 2012. "Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62074, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo & Lüthen, Holger, 2012. "Lifetime earnings inequality in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 8929, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olga Cantó & Coral del Río & Carlos Gradín, . "Poverty Statics And Dynamics: Does The Accounting Period Matter?," Working Papers 22-02 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Michal Myck, 2007.
"Wages and Ageing: Is There Evidence for the "Inverse-U Profile"?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
724, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Michał Myck, 2010. "Wages and Ageing: Is There Evidence for the 'Inverse-U' Profile?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 72(3), pages 282-306, 06.
- Myck, Michal, 2007. "Wages and Ageing: Is There Evidence for the "Inverse-U" Profile?," IZA Discussion Papers 2983, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chesher, Andrew & Schluter, Christian, 2002.
"Welfare Measurement and Measurement Error,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(2), pages 357-78, April.
- Quentin Wodon & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2003. "Inequality and the accounting period," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(36), pages 1-8.
- Hyun Son & Nanak Kakwani, 2006. "Measuring the impact of prices on inequality: With applications to Thailand and Korea," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 181-207, August.
- Fields, Gary S & Ok, Efe A, 1999. "Measuring Movement of Incomes," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(264), pages 455-71, November.
- Gibson, John & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2001. "Why is income inequality so low in China compared to other countries?: The effect of household survey methods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 329-333, June.
- Carlo V. Fiorio, 2011. "Understanding Italian Inequality Trends," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(2), pages 255-275, 04.
- Yoel Finkel & Yevgeny Artsev & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2006. "Inequality measurement and the time structure of household income in Israel," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 153-179, August.
- Hyun H. Son & Nanak Kakwani, 2006. "Measuring the impact of prices on inequality: with applications to Thailand and Korea," Working Papers 11, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2003:i:36:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1777. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.