Decompositions of Wage Inequality and Growth in an Advanced Economy open to Trade
We explore the uses of double-calibrated general equilibrium models as a decomposition tool for analysing contributory factors in the growth and increasing wage inequality in an advanced economy (the UK) since 1979. Calibration of a model to start and end years, based upon an assumed functional form and parameter values, produces a consistent set of decompositions for both growth and inequality. Calibrated TFP growth is consistent with the results from nonparametric growth accounting. The calibration procedure also allows us to explore different exogeneity assumptions regarding capital. However, there are more problems to modelling inequality than with growth: in particular, the main models in the literature, which take skill endowments as given, are characteristically unstable. This strongly emphasises the need for a more dynamic modelling technique, particularly regarding the skill acquisition decision and potential labour market mismatch issues
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nina Pavcnik, 2002.
"Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvements: Evidence from Chilean Plants,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 245-276.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2000. "Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvements: Evidence from Chilean Plants," NBER Working Papers 7852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neven, Damien J & Wyplosz, Charles, 1996.
"Relative Prices, Trade and Restructuring in European Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1451, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Damien NEVEN. & Charles WYPLOSZ, 1996. "Relative Prices, Trade and Restructuring in European Industry," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9615, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Anderton, Bob & Brenton, Paul, 1999.
"Outsourcing and Low-Skilled Workers in the UK,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 267-85, October.
- Carsten Kowalczyk & Raymond Riezman, 2009. "Trade Agreements," CESifo Working Paper Series 2660, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.