Donor Coordination and Specialization: Did the Paris Declaration Make a Difference?
We assess whether bilateral and multilateral donors of foreign aid specialized and coordinated their activities with other donors as agreed in the Paris Declaration of 2005. We account for donor heterogeneity, varying aid priorities and recipient characteristics in order to isolate changes in donor behaviour over time. Recent shifts in aid priorities, such as the rising importance of general budget support, have reduced the fragmentation of aid. Nevertheless, our results reveal that aid fragmentation persisted after the Paris Declaration and coordination among donors has even weakened
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frot, Emmanuel & Santiso, Javier, 2009.
"Herding in Aid Allocation,"
SITE Working Paper Series
5, Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 02 Oct 2009.
- Knack, Stephen & Rogers, F. Halsey & Eubank, Nicholas, 2011.
"Aid Quality and Donor Rankings,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(11), pages 1907-1917.
- I�aki Aldasoro & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2010.
"Less aid proliferation and more donor coordination? The wide gap between words and deeds,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 920-940.
- Iñaki Aldasoro & Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2009. "Less Aid Proliferation and More Donor Coordination? The Wide Gap between Words and Deeds," Kiel Working Papers 1516, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Klasen, Stephan & Davies, Ronald B., 2011. "Of Donor Coordination, Free-Riding, Darlings, and Orphans: The dependence of bilateral aid commitments on other bilateral giving," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 47, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Jean-Claude Berthélemy, 2006.
"Bilateral Donors' Interest vs. Recipients' Development Motives in Aid Allocation: Do All Donors Behave the Same?,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 179-194, 05.
- Jean-Claude Berthelemy, 2005. "Bilateral donors' interest vs. recipients' development motives in aid allocation : do all donors behave the same ?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00193273, HAL.
- Jean-Claude Berthélemy, 2005. "Bilateral donors' interest vs. Recipients' development motives in aid allocation : do all donors behave the same ?," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla05001, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Jean-Claude Berthelemy, 2006. "Bilateral Donor's Interest vs. Recipients' Development Motives in Aid Allocation: Do All Donors Behave the Same?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00305510, HAL.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2013.
"Financing for Development: The Gap between Words and Deeds since Monterrey,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 31(1), pages 75-98, 01.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Rainer Thiele, 2011. "Financing for Development: The Gap between Words and Deeds since Monterrey," Kiel Working Papers 1691, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- William Easterly, 2007. "Are aid agencies improving?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 633-678, October.
- Knack, Stephen & Rahman, Aminur, 2007.
"Donor fragmentation and bureaucratic quality in aid recipients,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 176-197, May.
- Knack,Stephen & Rahman, Aminur, 2004. "Donor fragmentation and bureaucratic quality in aid recipients," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3186, The World Bank.
- Arnab Acharya & Ana Teresa Fuzzo de Lima & Mick Moore, 2006. "Proliferation and fragmentation: Transactions costs and the value of aid," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 1-21.
- Bigsten, Arne, 2006. "Donor coordination and the uses of aid," Working Papers in Economics 196, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1748. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.