Price Transmission in the Pineapple Market – What Role for Organic Fruit?
As consumers’ demand for organic products and especially organic food grows, organic certification for tropical fruit is increasingly promoted in many developing countries. Certified organic pineapple exports only started taking off after 2005 and are rapidly increasing. The organic and conventional fresh pineapple value chains are dominated by certification standards and large multinational companies respectively. The two markets, however, still differ greatly in size. We analyze if this influences the price structure in these markets. Specifically, the paper attempts to single out the existence and direction of causality between the conventional and organic pineapple price using the European pineapple market as an example. We study spatial price transmission, i.e. the difference in prices between the markets for organic and conventional pineapple. The results indicate the dependence of organic market price movements on conventional ones. On the contrary, the conventional market is not affected by this niche market
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bjorner, Thomas Bue & Hansen, L.G.Lars Garn & Russell, Clifford S., 2004.
"Environmental labeling and consumers' choice--an empirical analysis of the effect of the Nordic Swan,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 411-434, May.
- Thomas Bue Bjorner & Lars Garn Hansen & Clifford S. Russell, 2002. "Environmental Labelling and Consumer's Choice - An Empirical Analysis of the Effect of the Nordic Swan," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0203, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- anonymous, 2008. "2008 Survey of community banks," TEN, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Win, pages 37.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jochen Meyer & Stephan Cramon-Taubadel, 2004.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 581-611.
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002. "Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abdulai, Awudu, 2000. "Spatial price transmission and asymmetry in the Ghanaian maize market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 327-349, December.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2008. "Annual Survey 2007," Working Papers 19, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Teisl, Mario F. & Roe, Brian & Hicks, Robert L., 2002. "Can Eco-Labels Tune a Market? Evidence from Dolphin-Safe Labeling," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 339-359, May.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nimon, R. Wesley & Beghin, John C., 1998.
"Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence From The Apparel Industry,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
21016, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wesley Nimon & John Beghin, 1999. "Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence From the Apparel Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 801-811.
- Nimon, W. & Beghin, John C., 2008. "Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence from the Apparel Industry," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12741, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Wesley Nimon & John C. Beghin, 1998. "Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence from the Apparel Industry," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp213, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Nimon, Wesley & Beghin, John C., 1999. "Are Eco-Labels Valuable? Evidence from the Apparel Industry," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1514, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Vagneron, Isabelle & Faure, Guy & Loeillet, Denis, 2009. "Is there a pilot in the chain? Identifying the key drivers of change in the fresh pineapple sector," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 437-446, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1626. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.