FDI by Early Movers, Followers and Latecomers: Timing of Entry by German Firms during Transition in the Czech Republic
Theoretical considerations suggest that the option of waiting under conditions of uncertainty affects the relative importance of firm-level productivity and distance-related transaction costs as driving forces of FDI. Yet the timing of FDI has received little attention in the empirical literature on FDI determinants. To help close this gap we analyze FDI decisions by German firms with and without affiliates in the Czech Republic at different stages of transition. We find that FDI entry strongly depends on firm productivity immediately after the political and economic regime change, but less so with diminishing uncertainty. Likewise, distance-related transaction costs discourage FDI by latecomers considerably less than FDI by early movers
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1991.
"Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Investment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 29(3), pages 1110-48, September.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1990. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Working papers 3137-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1990. "Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 3307, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert, 1989. "Irreversibility, uncertainty, and investment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 294, The World Bank.
- Yadong Luo, 1998. "Timing of Investment and International Expansion Performance in China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 391-407, June.
- de Brito, José Brandão & de Mello Sampayo, Felipa, 2002. "The timing and the probability of FDI: an application to the US multinational enterprises," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 A3-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Ryan, Michael & Raff, Horst, 2007.
"Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects,"
Economics Working Papers
2007,22, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Michael J. Ryan, 2008. "Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 144(1), pages 1-31, April.
- Horst Raff & Michael Ryan, 2006. "Firm-Specific Characteristics and the Timing of Foreign Direct Investment Projects," CESifo Working Paper Series 1874, CESifo Group Munich.
- Markusen, James R & Maskus, Keith E, 2002.
"Discriminating among Alternative Theories of the Multinational Enterprise,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 694-707, November.
- James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1999. "Discriminating Among Alternative Theories of the Multinational Enterprise," NBER Working Papers 7164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gastanaga, Victor M. & Nugent, Jeffrey B. & Pashamova, Bistra, 1998. "Host Country Reforms and FDI Inflows: How Much Difference do they Make?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1299-1314, July.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Peter Egger, 2008. "On the role of distance for outward FDI," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 42(2), pages 375-389, June.
- Jose Brandao de Brito & Felipa de Mello Sampayo, 2005. "The timing and probability of FDI: an application to US multinational enterprises," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 417-437.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1980.
"The Location of Overseas Production and Production for Export by U.S. Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
0482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kravis, Irving B. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1982. "The location of overseas production and production for export by U.S. multinational firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2001.
"Distance, Trade and FDI: A Hausman-Taylor SUR Approach,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004. "Distance, trade and FDI: a Hausman-Taylor SUR approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 227-246.
- Buckley, Peter J & Casson, Mark, 1981. "The Optimal Timing of a Foreign Direct Investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 75-87, March.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Schneider, Friedrich & Frey, Bruno S., 1985. "Economic and political determinants of foreign direct investment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 161-175, February.
- Pietra Rivoli & Eugene Salorio, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Investment under Uncertainty," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(2), pages 335-357, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.