Relationship Banking within the Irish SME sector and its Implication
Relationship banking involves the provision of financial services by an intermediary that a) invests in obtaining customer-specific information, often proprietary in nature; and b) evaluates the profitability of these investments through multiple interactions with the same customer over time and/or across products (Boot, 2000). We assess the presence and impact of relationship banking from an Irish SME perspective.We trace how significant patterns can be seen across several dimensions of the lender/business relationship using data for the year 2005. These dimensions include the duration of lender/business relationships and the cost of finance
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1990.
"The role of banks in reducing the costs of financial distress in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 67-88, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1990. "The Role of Banks in Reducing the Costs of Financial Distress in Japan," NBER Working Papers 3435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cole, Rebel A., 1998. "The importance of relationships to the availability of credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 959-977, August.
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 1998.
"Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany,"
CFS Working Paper Series
1998/05, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 1998. "Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1283-1316, October.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Lehmann, Erik & Neuberger, Doris, 2001.
"Do lending relationships matter?: Evidence from bank survey data in Germany,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 339-359, August.
- Erik Lehmann & Neuberger, Doris, 2000. "Do Lending Relationships Matter? Evidence from Bank Survey Data in Germany," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-04, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Hans Degryse & Partick Van cayseele, 1998.
"Relationship Lending within a Bank-based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces9816, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Degryse, Hans & Van Cayseele, Patrick, 2000. "Relationship Lending within a Bank-Based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 90-109, January.
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 2006. "A more complete conceptual framework for SME finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2945-2966, November.
- Rebel A. Cole & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 1997.
"Cookie-Cutter versus Character: The Micro Structure of Small Business Lending by Large and Small Banks,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
98-022, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Rebel A. Cole & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 1999. "Cookie-cutter versus character: the micro structure of small business lending by large and small banks," Proceedings 777, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Ongena, Steven & Smith, David C., 2000. "What Determines the Number of Bank Relationships? Cross-Country Evidence," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 26-56, January.
- JS Armstrong & Terry Overton, 2005. "Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys," General Economics and Teaching 0502044, EconWPA.
- Binks, Martin R & Ennew, Christine T, 1996. " Growing Firms and the Credit Constraint," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 17-25, February.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Aoife Hanley & Christine Ennew & Martin Binks, 2006. "The Price of UK Commercial Credit Lines: A Research Note," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(5-6), pages 932-938.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Goldberg, Lawrence G., 2004. "Relationship lending: a survey of the literature," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 315-330.
- Ongena, Steven & Smith, David C., 2001. "The duration of bank relationships," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 449-475, September.
- Angelini, P. & Di Salvo, R. & Ferri, G., 1998. "Availability and cost of credit for small businesses: Customer relationships and credit cooperatives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 925-954, August.
- Janne Peltoniemi, 2007. "The Benefits of Relationship Banking: Evidence from Small Business Financing in Finland," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 153-171, June.
- Blackwell, David W & Winters, Drew B, 1997. "Banking Relationships and the Effect of Monitoring on Loan Pricing," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 275-89, Summer.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1553. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.