On the recent slowdown in productivity growth in advanced economies
After two and a half decades of prosperous postwar development, western industrialised countries recently experienced a slowdown of economic growth and productivity advance together with an increase in the rates of inflation and unemployment. The deep recession of 1974/75 has uncovered fundamental structural weaknesses; since then, the advanced economies have not regained the momentum of the 1960s. In this paper, we shall attempt to contribute to a better understanding of this malaise. But as our comparative advantage is not in growth-accounting and as we do not believe that we can single out one or two specific causes, we shall merely aim at forming an idea (perhaps only a rather vague one) which might be further developed into a paradigm or research programme (in Lakatos? sense).
|Date of creation:||1982|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1980. "Sectoral Productivity Slowdown," NBER Working Papers 0423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William D. Nordhaus, 1980. "Oil and Economic Performance in industrial Countries," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 11(2), pages 341-400.
- Edwin Mansfield & John Rapoport & Anthony Romeo & Samuel Wagner & George Beardsley, 1977. "Social and Private Rates of Return from Industrial Innovations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(2), pages 221-240.
- William H. Branson & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1979.
"International Adjustment with Wage Rigidity,"
NBER Working Papers
0406, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William H. Branson & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1991. "International Adjustment with Wage Rigidity," NBER Chapters, in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 13-44 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Branson, William H. & Rotemberg, Julio J., 1980. "International adjustment with wage rigidity," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 309-332, May.
- William H. Branson & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1981. "International adjustment with wage rigidity," NBER Chapters, in: International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 309-332 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herbert Giersch, 1980. "Die Rolle der reichen Länder in der wachsenden Weltwirtschaft," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 116(III), pages 301-320, September.
- Jones, D T & Prais, S J, 1978. "Plant-Size and Productivity in the Motor Industry: Some International Comparisons," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(2), pages 131-51, May.
- Michael Bruno, 1981. "Raw Materials, Profits, and the Productivity Slowdown (Rev)," NBER Working Papers 0660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Contini, Bruno B, 1981. "Labor Market Segmentation and the Development of the Parallel Economy-The Italian Experience," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(3), pages 401-12, November.
- S.J. Prais, 1981. "Vocational Qualifications of the Labour Force in Britain and Germany," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 98(1), pages 47-59, November.
- Giersch, Herbert & Wolter, Frank, 1982. "Risiken und Chancen der künftigen Wirtschaftsentwicklung," Kiel Discussion Papers 84, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Zvi Griliches, 1980.
"R&D and the Productivity Slowdown,"
NBER Working Papers
0434, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfgang F. Stolper & Paul A. Samuelson, 1941. "Protection and Real Wages," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 58-73.
- von Hayek, Friedrich August, 1974.
"The Pretence of Knowledge,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1974-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Malinvaud, Edmond, 1982. "Wages and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 1-12, March.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1980. "Sectoral Productivity Slowdown," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 349-52, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:148. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.