Technological Change, Trade, and Endogenous Factor Endowments
Factor endowments are usually taken as given in trade theoretical analyses of technological change. We use the Deardorff (1974) diagram to show how the steady state capital labor ratio endogenously adjusts to technology shocks in a two-sector small open economy, an effect which has largely been neglected in trade theory literature. We show that ignoring the endogeneity of the capital labor ratio with respect to technology shocks leads to biased predictions of changes in sectoral production and trade. Imposing stylized facts of growth as restrictions, we assess the relative size of the implied prediction bias that appears to matter for empirical studies of trade
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1974. "A Geometry of Growth and Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 7(2), pages 295-306, May.
- anonymous, 1995. "Does the bouncing ball lead to economic growth?," Regional Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jul, pages 1-2, 4-6.
- Xu, Bin, 2001. "Factor bias, sector bias, and the effects of technical progress on relative factor prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 5-25, June.
- Erich Gundlach, 2007.
"The Solow model in the empirics of growth and trade,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 23(1), pages 25-44, Spring.
- Erich Gundlach, 2006. "The Solow Model in the Empirics of Growth and Trade," Kiel Working Papers 1294, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Gundlach, Erich, 2006. "The Solow model in the empirics of growth and trade," Kiel Working Papers 1294, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin, 1997.
"Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Economic Growth,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Findlay, Ronald & Jones, Ronald, 2000. "Factor bias and technical progress," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 303-308, September.
- Krugman, Paul R., 2000.
"Technology, trade and factor prices,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 51-71, February.
- Daniel Becker & Erich Gundlach, 2007. "Factor Price Equality and Biased Technical Change in a Two-Cone Trade Model," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 685-698, November.
- Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Contribution to the Theory of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 65-94.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.