BioRegio, BioProfile and the Rise of the German Biotech Industry
The BioRegio contest and the BioProfile contest initiated by the German Federal Government have drawn much international attention as prototypes of a new kind of technology policy aiming at the exploitation of regional innovation and growth potential through clustering. There is, however, little systematic analysis of their actual impact on the development of commercial biotechnology in Germany. The current paper tries to fill this gap. We find that although these contests have catalyzed the emergence and early growth of German commercial biotech it takes more than isolated policy action by national governments to grow a self-sustainable biotech industry in Europe
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eickelpasch, Alexander & Fritsch, Michael, 2005.
"Contests for cooperation--A new approach in German innovation policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1269-1282, October.
- Eickelpasch, Alexander & Fritsch, Michael, 2005. "Contests for Cooperation: A New Approach in German Innovation Policy," Freiberg Working Papers 2005,03, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Alexander Eickelpasch & Michael Fritsch, 2005. "Contests for Cooperation: A New Approach in German Innovation Policy," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 478, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Wilson, David & Souitaris, Vangelis, 2002. "Do Germany's federal and land governments (still) co-ordinate their innovation policies?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1123-1140, September.
- Fritsch, Michael & Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver, 2004.
"The effect of industry, region and time on new business survival: A multi-dimensional analysis,"
Freiberg Working Papers
2004,04, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Michael Fritsch & Udo Brixy & Oliver Falck, 2006. "The Effect of Industry, Region, and Time on New Business Survival – A Multi-Dimensional Analysis," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 285-306, 05.
- Fritsch, Michael & Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver, 2004. "The effect of industry, region and time on new business survival: A multi-dimensional analysis," Passauer Diskussionspapiere, Volkswirtschaftliche Reihe V-26-04, University of Passau, Faculty of Business and Economics.
- Michael Fritsch & Oliver Falck & Udo Brixy, 2004. "The Effect of Industry, Region and Time on New Business Survival - A Multi-Dimensional Analysis," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-31, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Brixy, Udo & Falck, Oliver & Fritsch, Michael, 2006. "The effect of industry, region, and time on new business survival - A multi-dimensional analysis," Munich Reprints in Economics 20195, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- David Audretsch & Dirk Dohse & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2010.
"Cultural diversity and entrepreneurship: a regional analysis for Germany,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 45(1), pages 55-85, August.
- Audretsch, David B & Dohse, Dirk & Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2008. "Cultural Diversity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis for Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 6945, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Claire Champenois & Dirk Engel & Oliver Heneric, 2006. "What kind of German biotechnology start-ups do venture capital companies and corporate investors prefer for equity investments?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(5), pages 505-518.
- Simeon Schudy, 2006.
"Jüngere Entwicklungen auf dem Risikokapitalmarkt für Biotechnologie in Deutschland,"
Kiel Working Papers
1270, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Schudy, Simeon, 2006. "Jüngere Entwicklungen auf dem Risikokapitalmarkt für Biotechnologie in Deutschland," Kiel Working Papers 1270, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- David B. Audretsch & Dirk Dohse, 2007. "Location: A Neglected Determinant of Firm Growth," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(1), pages 79-107, April.
- Philip Cooke, 2001. "New Economy Innovation Systems: Biotechnology In Europe And The Usa," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 267-289.
- Dirk Dohse, 2007. "Cluster-Based Technology Policy—The German Experience," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 69-94.
- Dohse, Dirk, 2000. "Technology policy and the regions -- the case of the BioRegio contest," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1111-1133, December.
- Rammer, Christian & Ohmstedt, Jörg & Binz, Hanna L. & Heneric, Oliver, 2006. "Unternehmensgründungen in der Biotechnologie in Deutschland 1991 bis 2004," ZEW Dokumentationen 06-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1456. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.