Why a Marketplace Must Not Discriminate: The Case against a US-EU free Trade Agreement
The paper discusses the pros and cons of a Transatlantic free trade area (TAFTA) against the concept of an informal trade-facilitating marketplace between Europe and the US. It finds considerably more cons expecially since TAFTA would be expected to have ever more discriminatory effects to the detriment of dynamic non-member economies mainly in Asia but also in food-exporting regions. Efficiency-enhancing effects are argued to be achievable under a marketplace concept which does not separate insiders from outsiders. It is also shown that in foreign direct investment (FDI) and FDI-related service trade TAFTA seems redundant as in recent years bilateral capital and trade flows have proven to be buoyant without preferential treatment
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Messerlin, 2007. "Assessing the EC Trade Policy in Goods," Working Papers hal-00973100, HAL.
- Baldwin, Richard & Francois, Joseph, 1997. "Preferential Trade Liberalization in the North Atlantic," CEPR Discussion Papers 1611, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Langhammer, Rolf J. & Piazolo, Daniel & Siebert, Horst, 2002. "Assessing proposals for a transatlantic free trade area," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2769, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Jeffrey J. Schott & Barbara Oegg, 2001. "Europe and the Americas: Toward a TAFTA-South?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 745-759, 06.
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2005.
"The EU Offer of Service Trade Liberalization in the Doha Round: Evidence of a Not-Yet-Perfect Customs Union,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 311-325, 06.
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 2005. "The EU offer of service trade liberalization in the Doha Round : evidence of a not-yet-perfect customs union," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3509, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/8230 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrick Messerlin, 2007. "Assessing the EC Trade Policy in Goods," Sciences Po publications 01/2007, Sciences Po.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.