Why a Marketplace Must Not Discriminate: The Case against a US-EU free Trade Agreement
The paper discusses the pros and cons of a Transatlantic free trade area (TAFTA) against the concept of an informal trade-facilitating marketplace between Europe and the US. It finds considerably more cons expecially since TAFTA would be expected to have ever more discriminatory effects to the detriment of dynamic non-member economies mainly in Asia but also in food-exporting regions. Efficiency-enhancing effects are argued to be achievable under a marketplace concept which does not separate insiders from outsiders. It is also shown that in foreign direct investment (FDI) and FDI-related service trade TAFTA seems redundant as in recent years bilateral capital and trade flows have proven to be buoyant without preferential treatment
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 2005.
"The EU offer of service trade liberalization in the Doha Round: evidence of a not-yet-perfect customs union,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
3509, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2005. "The EU Offer of Service Trade Liberalization in the Doha Round: Evidence of a Not-Yet-Perfect Customs Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 311-325, 06.
- Langhammer, Rolf J. & Piazolo, Daniel & Siebert, Horst, 2002. "Assessing proposals for a transatlantic free trade area," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2769, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Jeffrey J. Schott & Barbara Oegg, 2001. "Europe and the Americas: Toward a TAFTA-South?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 745-759, 06.
- Patrick Messerlin, 2007. "Assessing the EC Trade Policy in Goods," Sciences Po publications 01/2007, Sciences Po.
- Patrick Messerlin, 2007. "Assessing the EC Trade Policy in Goods," Working Papers hal-00973100, HAL.
- Baldwin, Richard & Francois, Joseph, 1997. "Preferential Trade Liberalization in the North Atlantic," CEPR Discussion Papers 1611, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/8230 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.