Determinants of Business Cycles in Small Scale Macroeconomic Models: The German Case
We identify measures of shocks to total factor productivity and preferences from two real business cycle models and subject them to Granger causality tests to see whether they can be considered exogenous to other plausible sources of the German business cycle. For the period 60.i to 89.iv no variable Granger causes the shock measures, and for the period 70.i to 01.iv, only M3 does. We attribute the latter result to the breaks in our time series associated with the German reunification in 1990 and the European Monetary Union in 1999. We, thus, find no evidence to reject the exogeneity of our shock measures. Our findings contrast with similar studies for other countries that question the exogeneity of either productivity or preference shocks.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
- Holland, Allison & Scott, Andrew, 1998.
"The Determinants of UK Business Cycles,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1067-92, July.
- Charles L. Evans, 1991.
"Productivity shocks and real business cycles,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1989.
"Oligopolistic Pricing and the Effects of Aggregate Demand on Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
3206, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Woodford, Michael, 1992. "Oligopolistic Pricing and the Effects of Aggregate Demand on Economic Activity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1153-1207, December.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993.
"Labor Hoarding and the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 245-73, April.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Lucke, Bernd, 1997. "An Adelman-Test for Growth Cycles in West Germany," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 15-40.
- Paquet, Alain & Robidoux, Benoit, 2001. "Issues on the measurement of the Solow residual and the testing of its exogeneity: Evidence for Canada," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 595-612, June.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.