Comparative Advantages of Public Loan and Public Equity Schemes in Venture Capital Markets
Using an agency framework, this paper examines advantages of offering venture capitalists a choice between public equity and loan schemes. Both schemes can be used to promote venture capital investments in hightechnology enterprises since they encourage inexperienced venture capitalists to accumulate experience. However, under both schemes, experienced venture capitalists save on management support. This paper shows that offering venture capitalists a choice between these two schemes can lead to a positive self-selection. Inexperienced venture capitalists choose public equity under which they have higher incentives to enter the market. Experienced venture capitalists choose public loans under which they have lower incentives to save on their management support.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Keuschnigg & Soren Nielsen, 2001.
"Public Policy for Venture Capital,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 557-572, August.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Søren Bo Nielsen, . "Public Policy for Venture Capital," EPRU Working Paper Series 01-06, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Søren Bo Nielsen, 2001. "Public Policy for Venture Capital," CESifo Working Paper Series 486, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schertler, Andrea, 2002. "Path dependencies in venture capital markets," Kiel Working Papers 1120, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Schertler, Andrea, 2002. "Venture Capitalists Investment Incentives Under Public Equity Schemes," Kiel Working Papers 1117, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Schertler, Andrea, 2000. "The Impact of Public Subsidies on Venture Capital Investments in Start-Up Enterprises," Kiel Working Papers 1018, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Josh Lerner, 2002. "When Bureaucrats Meet Entrepreneurs: The Design of Effective "Public Venture Capital" Programmes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(477), pages F73-F84, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.