Venture Capital in Europe's Common Market: A Quantitative Description
This paper offers a quantitative description of European private equity markets and compares the recent development in these markets with the development of the US venture capital market. Moreover, the paper addresses the differences between private equity investors acting in a single national market by analysing micro data on French and German private equity investors. European markets for private equity have experienced substantial growth at the end of the 1990s and so has the US venture capital market. However, in Europe, private equity investments in enterprisesÂ’ early and expansion stages as well as in high-technology enterprises are, relative to GDP, significantly lower than in the US.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
- Brav, Alon & Gompers, Paul A, 1997. " Myth or Reality? The Long-Run Underperformance of Initial Public Offerings: Evidence from Venture and Nonventure Capital-Backed Companies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1791-1821, December.
- Bygrave, William D., 1987. "Syndicated investments by venture capital firms: A networking perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 139-154.
- Christopher B. Barry, 1994. "New Directions in Research on Venture Capital Finance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(3), Fall.
- Brouwer, Maria & Hendrix, Bart, 1998. "Two Worlds of Venture Capital: What Happened to U.S. and Dutch Early Stage Investment?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 333-48, June.
- Günseli Baygan & Michael Freudenberg, 2000. "The Internationalisation of Venture Capital Activity in OECD Countries: Implications for Measurement and Policy," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2000/7, OECD Publishing.
- Bürgel, Oliver & Fier, Andreas & Licht, Georg & Murray, Gordon, 2000. "Internationalisation of high-tech start-ups and fast growth-evidence for UK and Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-35, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1087. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.