The Social Impact of Structural Adjustment in Bolivia
This paper provides an account of the evolution of poverty and inequality during adjustment in Bolivia, covering the period 1985Â–99. It turns out that urban poverty declined somewhat after the initial stabilization phase that followed the hyperinflation in 1985. A similar evolution of per capita income suggests a positive impact of growth on urban poverty, although the correlation between the two variables is rather low in international perspective. Urban inequality as measured by the Gini coefficient does not exhibit a clear long-term trend upward or downward, but a rising premium for high-skilled workers indicates increasing disparities in the urban labor market. For rural areas, the scant evidence available points towards persistently high poverty levels and a widening rural-urban gap.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schweickert, Rainer, 2001. "Macroeconomic constraints on economic development and poverty reduction : the case of Bolivia," Kiel Working Papers 1060, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Woden, Q.T. & Ayres, W. & Barenstein, M. & Hicks, N. & Lee, K. & Maloney, W. & Peeters, P. & Siaens, C. & Yitzjaki, S., 2000. "Poverty and Policy in Latin America and Caribeean," Papers 467, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Thiele, Rainer & Wiebelt, Manfred, 2000. "Sind die Anpassungsprogramme von IWF und Weltbank gescheitert? Eine Bilanz der Erfahrungen von zwei Jahrzehnten," Kiel Discussion Papers 357, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Andersen, Lykke E., 2001.
"Low Social Mobility in Bolivia: Causes and Consequences for Development,"
Kiel Working Papers
1046, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Lykke E. Andersen, 2001. "Low Social Mobility in Bolivia: Causes and Consequences for Development," Kiel Working Papers 1046, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Andersen, Lykke Eg, 2001. "Low Social Mobility in Bolivia: Causes and Consequences for Development," Documentos de trabajo 3/2001, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
- Bruno, Michael & Ravallion, Martin & Squire, Lyn, 1996. "Equity and growth in developing countries : old and new perspectives on the policy issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1563, The World Bank.
- Gabriela Inchauste, 2000. "Educational Choices and Educational Constraints; Evidence From Bolivia," IMF Working Papers 00/42, International Monetary Fund.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.