Too Much, Too Little, or Too Volatile? International Capital Flows to Developing Countries in the 1990s
Developing countries are constrained in financing current account deficits as real capital mobility is still far from perfect. At the same time, capital flows to these countries proved to be extremely volatile. The paper argues that the long-term problem of "too little" should not be confused with the short-term problem of "too volatile". The former is related to sovereign risk, which may be difficult to overcome. The latter could be kept within limits by financial restructuring towards relatively stable types of capital flows.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000. "Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2000. "Capital Market Liberalization, Economic Growth, and Instability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1075-1086, June.
- Paolo Mauro & Yishay Yafeh & Nathan Sussman, 2001.
"Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2001fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Yishay Yafeh & Paolo Mauro & Nathan Sussman, 2000. "Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now," IMF Working Papers 00/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Paolo Mauro, 2000. "Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now," Economics Series Working Papers 2001-FE-03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gundlach, Erich & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1997. "Labor markets in the global economy: How to prevent rising wage gaps and unemployment," Kiel Discussion Papers 305, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann, 2000.
"Is FDI a Safer Form of Financing?,"
Research Department Publications
4201, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2001. "Liberalization and Regulation of International Capital Flows: Where the Opposites Meet," Kiel Working Papers 1029, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Michael Mussa & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Barry J. Eichengreen & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "Capital Account Liberalization: Theoretical and Practical Aspects," IMF Occasional Papers 172, International Monetary Fund.
- Helmut Reisen & Julia von Maltzan, 1999.
"Boom and Bust and Sovereign Ratings,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
148, OECD Publishing.
- Steven Phillips & Timothy D. Lane, 2000. "Does IMF Financing Result in Moral Hazard?," IMF Working Papers 00/168, International Monetary Fund.
- Helmut Reisen, 1999. "After the Great Asian Slump: Towards a Coherent Approach to Global Capital Flows," OECD Development Centre Policy Briefs 16, OECD Publishing.
- Stephany Griffith-Jones, 2000. "Proposals for a better International Financial System," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 1(2), pages 111-133, April.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 1999. "The moral hazard of IMF lending: Making a fuss about a minor problem?," Kiel Discussion Papers 332, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Dieter Stribny to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.