The New Economy and the International Regulatory Framework
The rapid diffusion of the internet and electronic commerce changes the way business and international trade take place. The new economy poses new challenges to the international regulatory framework, since small distortions due to differing sets of regulations and taxation between countries might grow to non-negligible dimensions. This paper examines the necessary reforms of the multilateral framework concerning standards, policy coordination and taxation and stresses that the new economy reinforces the need for consistent, transparent, non-discriminatory, simple and enforceable rules. Furthermore, strategies to overcome the digital divide between countries are set out.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 85853
Web page: http://www.ifw-kiel.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erich Gundlach, 2001.
"Interpreting Productivity Growth in the New Economy: Some Agnostic Notes,"
Kiel Working Papers
1020, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Gundlach, Erich, 2001. "Interpreting productivity growth in the new economy: Some agnostic notes," Kiel Working Papers 1020, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Arvind Panagariya, 2003.
"ECommerce WTO and developing countries,"
- Goolsbee, Austan & Zittrain, Jonathan, 1999. "Evaluating the Costs and Benefits of Taxing Internet Commerce," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 3), pages 413-28, September.
- Watanabe, Satoshi, 2000. "Electronic Commerce, International Taxation, and Tax Administration," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 41(1), pages 53-64, June.
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 2000. "Developing countries as exporters of services: looking beyond success episodes," Kiel Working Papers 992, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Gordon, Robert J, 2000.
"Does the 'New Economy' Measure up to the Great Inventions of the Past?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2607, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2000. "Does the "New Economy" Measure Up to the Great Inventions of the Past?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 49-74, Fall.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2000. "Does the "New Economy" Measure up to the Great Inventions of the Past?," NBER Working Papers 7833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kie:kieliw:1030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dieter Stribny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.